Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class B+
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2023, 12:06 AM   #1
renman43

Default 2005 Bt cruiser 5230 slideout.

No emergency, just wondering in advance. Slideout works fine now, but what do I do if the batteries should fail? How do you put the slide in manually?
renman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:39 PM   #2
NavyLCDR

https://support.lci1.com/videos/in-w...-disengagement
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 11:00 PM   #3
renman43

Thanks for the link. I saw elsewhere that there may be access via a panel on top of the basement compartment under the slideout on my year/model rv, and that a ratchet wrench with an extension and a 5/8 socket can be used to retract the slideout. I located the panel, but have not explored further since the slideout works. I happened to have a spare ratchet wrench, extender, and 5/8 socket, so I will be packing those in the off chance I need retract manually at some point. Hopefully that would do the job.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:22 PM   #4
renman43

I believe I have just located the manual for my slide online. It details all the preliminary steps before you can begin manual retraction. Guess the best bet is just make darn sure the batteries are fully charged.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:11 AM   #5
NavyLCDR

If you have the Lippert In Wall (formerly Schwintek) slide, which is what online photos look like it is, there is no ratchet and socket method to manually move it without power. Only the method of disconnecting both motors and pushing by hand.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:10 AM   #6
renman43

Ok. I’ll check further. Can’t find the post where someone said it was a power glide slide in the 2005 #5230 rv, but I have to look closer to find out for sure.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:33 AM   #7
RY469

The older BT Cruisers (like yours) had in-floor Power Gear slides. Although I have seen variations out there. The in-floor slides have arms underneath, connected by a torque tube to keep them in sync. There is an actuator that pushes/pulls the slide in and out, typically driven by a 12VDC motor (on the end furthest away from the slide, in the belly). The torque tube can be turned to move the slide, but only if the actuator is free. Most times you will find a small hole in the frame opposite the slide (other side of the RV) that let's you put a crank on the motor end of the actuator to move the slide manually. Go to LCI1.com and look under support documentation, you may be able to identify your slide and get a manual on it (.pdf). My 2-cents.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:42 AM   #8
RY469

BTW, if anyone reading this has interest, Schwintek slides can be operated in "over-ride" mode. Many times they fail due to the encoders (part of the motor). If you find the controller (a little black box usually in one of the storage compartments near the slide) you can push the little button inside six times (instructions on the controller). This tells the controller to ignore the encoder feedback (or lack of feedback) and run the motors anyway. >SOMETIMES< this will help you get a slide in that is acting up. Otherwise I agree with "NavyLCDR" that one may have to "pop" the motors up and manhandle the slide in. Again, this is for Schwintek full-wall slides, not the Power Gear we were discussing.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 01:45 PM   #9
renman43

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Tags
manually retract slideout, slideout