Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Hippy

Default slideout floor coating

anyone have a cure for the slideout floor coating wearing off on the underside? it is a black rubber type coating that has worn off and is now damaging the floor material on one side of the slide. dealer tried to adjust, to no avail. i have read Heartland has a repair kit for this, but dont know if it will work on my Kingsport.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
kscaddo

Default Re: slideout floor coating

Sorry I don't have a cure, but I will be watching this because I have the same problem on my 2010 26QBS. I've been all over, inside and out and for the life of me can't figure out why it's wearing like it is. Pretty much on the sides of the slide and lightly in the middle. I put some Gorilla tape on it but it chewed it up. Regards.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Timothy

lift the carpet in front of the slide when the slide is deployed and check for screws that may be sticking out the trim piece the slide rides up on when bringing it in.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Hippy

thanks for the reply's. was in touch with GS they say they havnt had a problem with this? when i bought this unit there was a broken screw laying in channel, which i pointed out to dealer. they thought it may be a spare that was dropped during assy. i lifted carpet as suggested and could see where the screw had damaged plastic rub strip and gouged metal channel. also found inside edge of metal is razor sharp, and as slide tips when going out i think this is shaving off floor coating. i have filed that section of metal, cleaned up gouges and applied paint. will let u know if this works, only problem is how to repair floor, its just chipboard and is damaged on one edge... any ideas? heartland has a repair kit for their slides, it has two plastic adhesive strips to put on edges of floor. then run the whole length of edge. made by a company called Parkland.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Timothy

I see you have a new 2012, you should contact your dealer, it should be covered by the warranty. I would have them seal it and make note of it in case of future problems......good luck.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Hippy

well, heading out .for last trip tomorrow , Hope it doesnt snow too much. have had slide working several times, looks like problem solved. ended up lowering outside of slide wall half inch, this changed angle of floor when sliding out to rub on nylon wear strip, and not on sharp edge of steel. also tightining screws on plate to pull edges down slightly. still not sure how to fix floor, work on that next spring. also caulked edges of floor, this appears to b an issue of floor edges sucking in water and rotting. aluminum siding on slide stops short of edge. Read this on internet posts, floor on mine is particle board, not plywood. Had a drip rail fabricated from white aluminum to put over slide on trailer side, as factory seal doesnt suit me. saw this on a Canyon Trail trailer last trip.fingers crossed.