Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
Brad15

Default 2003 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 8404 should I buy?

Hello everyone,
I am looking at getting a 2003 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 8404. My wife loves the inside (and so do I) and I like it has the big 8.9 400hp 860 ft.lb toque. I am just bummed and surprised that it does not have a side mout radiator??? It only has 23k miles and the generator only has 100 hr on her... can’t beat that! All tires are brand new, I know how expensive those tires can be. I would just like to know if this is an rv I should be looking into. Please post problems that you have had or what I should be looking at when buying a used rv. I know roofs are very important so how do these roofs hold up? Last rv was a 1999 safari Zanzibar. Worse mistake of my life! Just bought a lemon I guess worked fine for the first trip then just fell apart hahahaha. Had to sell it at a big loss.
Please post on here or call/text me I would like to know any news ASAP I don’t want this deal to pass me up.
Thanks everyone!
-Brad
Brad15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
madkinson

The only advice I can give you is to have it checked out very carefully. One person may have had no or few problems where the next person had loads of problems. Never can tell. My 99 only had 47000 on it. Since owning, I have had to fix numerous water leaks that were not obvious or easily seen when purchased. Best of luck.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
Brad15

Thanks for the response madkinson!
Does anyone have any thoughts on buying an rv in New York? I’m just thinking the snow can’t be good for the roof and with salted roads might cause problems with the rv.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad15 View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on buying an rv in New York? I’m just thinking the snow can’t be good for the roof and with salted roads might cause problems with the rv.
All depends on it's life. Could have been in a flood or it could be well kept. The coach will tell you the story. You have to look close at everything or you pay dearly later.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
RayChez1

I own a 2002 Scenic Cruiser and the coach has been good to us. Only thing I would recommend is to apply eternabond on all the seams on the roof. The roof design in my opinion is a poor design with joints running from the front to the back and the joints are like in a small valley that will retain water. I would have preferred a one piece top with the side wall and roof joints being on the sides. Also there is a front cap and rear cap joint on the top. Out of the factory they used caulking which cracks with the summer heat and you could get a leak. Best thing is to get a couple of rolls of eternabond from Amazon and cover all the joints on top and you will never have to worry about leaks. Other then that they are a beautiful coach. We have walnut cabinets which we love. Mine has a Caterpillar engine and it is bullet proof. I bought my coach brand new in April of 2003 and have now 72K miles. We really enjoy our Scenic Cruiser. They were the top of the line in those years.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
I own a 2002 Scenic Cruiser and the coach has been good to us. Only thing I would recommend is to apply eternabond on all the seams on the roof. The roof design in my opinion is a poor design with joints running from the front to the back and the joints are like in a small valley that will retain water. I would have preferred a one piece top with the side wall and roof joints being on the sides. Also there is a front cap and rear cap joint on the top. Out of the factory they used caulking which cracks with the summer heat and you could get a leak. Best thing is to get a couple of rolls of eternabond from Amazon and cover all the joints on top and you will never have to worry about leaks. Other then that they are a beautiful coach. We have walnut cabinets which we love. Mine has a Caterpillar engine and it is bullet proof. I bought my coach brand new in April of 2003 and have now 72K miles. We really enjoy our Scenic Cruiser. They were the top of the line in those years.
Good call. I did this too. Also around the garden shower roof.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Scrooge517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad15 View Post
I bought my 2005 Gulfstream Friendship G7 with a 400hp cummins from up state N.Y. everything under the home was rusted out steps were bad check all the wireing and steel fuel lines every shop I talked to just laughed as soon as they looked at it and new where it came from and I will tell you this Camping World will not work on 10 year old homes as I found out at least engine wise
Scrooge517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Swiss Man

Hi Brad. Following points you should check:
1. Are the hydraulic cylinders still good. Level it out and re track the levels. Than you start to drive. Check the slides if those not slide slowly out.
2. I had broken rubber covers on the steering joint on the front axle. Sand and dirt could go in to the bearing shaft.
3. Roof (is it seal)
4. Check if the dome (in the shower) have black edges. Looks like dirt between the double wall. If you stand in to the shower and take a look upside, you will see if there are dirt spots. If yes, the wood (roof construction is made from wood) rotten. Than i recommend to take away the dome to see, if the damage is worst.
5. Check the level check hydraulic hoses. Gulf Stream mounted cheap hoses. They burst. If you want to be sure, replace them.
6. There was a recall on the steering wheel. It there is a slight chance to block the steering wheel during traveling. Make sure the recall is done.
7. There was a recall on the Norcold fridge cooling unit. It could ketch fire. Make sure the recall is done. They mount a over heating magnet valve. You can see it if on the outside is a red led when the fridge is turned on.
8. Check the chassis (in the compartment and outside) for rust.
9. Fill up the black water tank with the flush inlet. Wait for 30 minutes to see if the black water tank is not leaking. Do the same with the grey water tank.
10. Start the generator to see if it starts quick after push the start button and hold it for 15 seconds.

It is a nice RV. I wish you luck and a lot of fun. Mileage is great and also the low hours on the Onan.
Swiss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #9
Brad15

Default New update to my search

Hello all,
So I went and took a look at the rv in New York and it was in bad shap. With water damage and the fridge did not work so that one is out. I might take a trip to Florida to check out a 2003 friendship from the pictures it looks like the same thing inside. It has the same 8.9 Cummins and I found out it’s 1200 torque not like I previously said 860. I had the person send me more pictures and the roof seems to be in good shap with new roof seal 2 years ago. They said they took the rv to the dealer 5 months ago and had it 100% gone through while it was still under the warranty. It still has low miles of 47k and generator under 400 hr. With all maintenance records so it looks like they did take care of it. The clear coat is starting to peel off in spots but it’s to be expected on a 14 year old rv.
Thanks to everyone for their great information! It really does help out!
I would like to know if there is anything on top of what was already stated of what I should look out for on the friendship model.
Once again thanks for all the help!
Old 03-31-2019, 03:48 PM   #10
DandyDon

I've been looking at that same coach to replace my 99 Scenic Cruiser. Mine is fine but only has one slide and with four that one would have a lot more living space. I also like the idea of 75 more HP, plus it has a much more modern look. The fridge issue wouldn't bother me much as I'd simply spend $1500 and put in an Amish cooling unit, however I'd have to look closely at the "water damage". I'd love more info on that before I go look. In the end, if you can get it cheap enough to make the required repairs and still come out OK, you'd be fine. How wrong am I??
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:08 AM   #11
Swiss Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDon View Post
I've been looking at that same coach to replace my 99 Scenic Cruiser. Mine is fine but only has one slide and with four that one would have a lot more living space. I also like the idea of 75 more HP, plus it has a much more modern look. The fridge issue wouldn't bother me much as I'd simply spend $1500 and put in an Amish cooling unit, however I'd have to look closely at the "water damage". I'd love more info on that before I go look. In the end, if you can get it cheap enough to make the required repairs and still come out OK, you'd be fine. How wrong am I??
Don, you have to be aware, the Cenic Cruiser has a wooden frame. If there is a water damage, the risk is high that the wooden frame is rotten. Than you will invest a lot of money in order to repair or renew the frame.
Swiss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #12
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Man View Post
Don, you have to be aware, the Cenic Cruiser has a wooden frame. If there is a water damage, the risk is high that the wooden frame is rotten. Than you will invest a lot of money in order to repair or renew the frame.
LOL! The Scenic Cruiser does not have a wooden frame. They were the top of the line of the Gulf Stream coaches. The framing on the house part is all aluminum on top of steel called cradle of strength. Swiss Man must be thinking of a different coach.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #13
Restorium

Must be this one;
https://www.rvt.com/Gulf-Stream-Scen...75276-UX299415
Old 04-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #14
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
Not sure what coach he is talking about, but he is wrong. Yes the picture shows a coach that resembles mine except for the color, and I can assure you those were the Flagship coaches for Gulf Stream. They got every back up system you can want on a luxury coach. Things like AC/heatpumps backed by big furnaces ducted through out the coach if the temperature drops below freezing where heat pumps do not work. Gas/electric water heaters, gas/electric fridge. You can get them with side radiator or rear. Double insulation through out the walls and foam sprayed under the floors, wheel wells, fire walls. Foam insulation if done right is wonderful. I bought mine brand new and it would be hard for me to trade this coach. Cabinets on mine are real walnut woods, ceramic tiles, carpet of good quality. washer dryer comb. which comes in handy. Block heaters for the Caterpillar engine which is real nice in cold country. But like I posted before, the only thing I would have done different is the roof which is all fiber glass which is good, but I would have run the joints to the sides where it meets the side walls, making the top a seamless roof, one piece. What they have a person has to caulk it every year or check it. Best thing is to apply Eternabond right away to the whole roof seams and you can forget about ever having a leak. Not saying they are perfect because I have seen Prevosts with major head ache problems. Any coach can give problems. But I will say that the Scenic Cruiser is probably the best coach made by Gulf Stream followed by the G7, and the TourMaster.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #15
RayChez1

Maybe Swiss Man is talking about wooden floor? I believe all motor homes and coaches have wooden floors layed on top of medal beams with steel stringers running across. But the walls I can guarantee Swiss Man they are aluminum with some steel mix. I know that over the driver and passenger is a steel cage, also the box where the television come in originally is all steel angle iron. I know because when I replaced my old CRT television and I had to cut the box down to accommodate the new style flat screen televisions. Air ride with the Neway system gives that coach a smooth ride and the tires wear even because of the beam instead of the swing arms. Good coaches!
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #16
DandyDon

Quote:
Yes, that's the one. On my 99 Scenic Cruiser the floor under the storage compartments is, indeed, plywood but it appears that the actual floor under the living space, which would be above the storage bays, is covered by metal? If I could get this one at the right price I'd be willing to put some money into it to get it ship shape.
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:06 PM   #17
RayChez1

Yes the floor on top is tongue and groove floors, not sure what kind of lumber they used, but I assume it is oak. Then under is the steel beams with stringers hucked together making it into a cradle. Compartments are all steel angle iron with the walls made out of some kind of thin plywood covered with tin sheets over it on both sides. It is a bear to try and cut a hole through that stuff. I had to cut a hole on one of the inside walls because my door lock broke and I could not get into it, so I cut a hole on the adjacent where I could reach in and pull the lock up. It was a hard job, but my Dremel cutting tool worked pretty good. The sub floor is one inch plywood and again mine has this metal sheets to support the plywood and then they went crazy spraying foam insulation under the whole bottom of the coach. Even on the rear end cap I had to cut through four inches of foam to change a light bulb. But they are well insulated, plus they have double pane window glass all around.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-01-2019, 11:12 PM   #18
RayChez1

That coach on the picture has very little miles. I wonder why so little. I have 75K on mine already and I am only part time. I still have a big stick house. We only use the coach six months of the year. Actually the 2126-E Cat engine did not break in until it hit 60K miles. Then man it was so smooth and more power I could not believe it had taken that long to break in. But talking with long haul truck drivers they told me that YES it takes a while for Cat engines to break in.

The price for that blue coach on the picture is not bad at all. Hell I paid for mine 250K new in April 2003. I have had to brand new coaches, probably could have saved a lot of money if I would have had the experience I have now on diesel pushers. 50K is like buying a car nowdays.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-02-2019, 06:27 AM   #19
Restorium

I wouldn't give half of that if it has water damage. Lots of stuff to get damaged. What kind of water damage? In a flood? Could be a real mess. Maybe a total loss.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #20
RayChez1

Quote:
I wouldn't give half of that if it has water damage. Lots of stuff to get damaged. What kind of water damage? In a flood? Could be a real mess. Maybe a total loss.

Naturally if any coach has been in deep water or has had water damage you would have to turn a deal down. Water damage turns into black mold and is very dangerous to your health. But you or anybody can not just go around assuming that this coach has had water damage unless you make a physical inspection of the coach, and if you are not qualified then hire somebody that is an expert on water damage. But if the coach is in good condition, then 50K is a good deal. Does not say what kind of engine it has, I prefer Caterpillar over Cummins, but that is just me. I have had real bad experiences with Cummins engines in the 5.9 and the 400 series ISL. While Cat engines even though they got out of the market because of the stiff restrictions on smog applications, those engines are bullet proof.
Aventa II Blue Ox