Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
PaulMears

Default Battery Charging Issue

My 2005 Cresendo, Freightiner, Cat 350, doesn't charge the house batteries from the engine when in motion and doesn't charge the chassis batteries when on shore power.

I did a lot of testing in the 12 volt compartment and thought I found the White-Rogers solenoid to be bad. I replaced it.

I understood the solenoid would allow the engine to charge the chassis batteries until there was a significant voltage differential between the chassis and house batteries, then connect the house batteries to the engine batteries, allowing the house batteries to be charged.

I understood the same was true - in reverse - for the shore power/converter-charger to first charge the house batteries, then charge the chassis batteries.

Just completed a trip. After one week while still connected to shore power, I found the house batteries at 13.31 volts and the chassis batteries at 12.43 volts.

After 2.5 hours driving home, I found the chassis batteries at 13.06 volts and the house batteries at 12.29 volts.

Either I was wrong about the function of the W-R solenoid or the motor home is not designed to maintain both sets of batteries simultaneously, or I might not have a clue how all of this works

By the way, the W-R solenoid did and does function properly in the combiner mode for house battery assisted starting.

Please help me understand.
PaulMears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
Frutza

Mine did not either, now, I did just find a module in the front right compartment screwed to the top that sounded like it might control this but I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a feature or not, I just added a Bird module that controls it, I also added bypass relay because I didn't want to take the chance on damaging the jump relay.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
stargazer66

Paul, if I understand your question correctly the engine batteries and house batteries are not connected. They are on different systems. The house batteries are charged through the inverter when either plugged into shore power or using the on-board generator. The engine batteries are charged by the alternator as the diesel engine is running.
Vietnam Veteran; 3/506 INF, 101st ABN
stargazer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
RayHarkness

I understand your situation. First, I replaced the White Rogers 200 amp solenoid with a 500 amp solenoid. Much stronger, handles more voltage better. I also have routinely replaced the Intellitac BIRD which was located in the front electrical compartment, below driver seat. I think that was standard. They go bad routinely, specially in hot conditions. I can provide photos of all and part numbers if you wish. I ALSO put a better ground wire that went into the Intellitac. Let me know if you need more, glad to help. can email to [email protected]
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, discharge, white-rogers