Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-19-2021, 01:52 PM   #1
Donjhall

Default Compartment doors

Did a rookie mistake today. Got in hurry to leave park did not do my walk around. Went to slide living room slide. Heard crunching noise went outside propane door is crushed. Dum ass me. Next question where to get a new or used door for a 2007 sun voyager model 8388. Any ideas would be helpful.
Donjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
Terry’s Atrium

Been there, done that. I have tried to find a replacement cargo door and haven't had any luck so far. Here is what I have found:

1. Depending upon the extent of damage, a RV body shop may be able to repair it and/or reskin it and then repaint it.
2. I have found a RV salvage yard in Kentucky that seems to have a fairly extensive inventory. The problem is that their customer service pretty much sucks. I've emailed them as well as called them, a few different times, and have provided the exact items that I am looking for, have attached dimensions, have attached pictures of what I am looking for, and even attached pictures and descriptions of the items off of their own website......each time they have responded and said none of the items are available or they have never responded, but yet their website seems to indicate that there are plenty of items. Maybe they never update their website but its frustrating. Here is the link to the Gulf Stream section: https://rvexteriorbodypanels.visoner...rhomeparts.pl?

3. Another RV salvage yard but I have no experience with them: https://colawrvsalvage.com/wrecked-rv/

If you have any luck or find a different source, please keep us posted!

Thank you,
Parker, Colorado
Terry’s Atrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #3
SGTJAC

Donjhall, you will find that Colaw RV here in Missouri will indeed answer you per email.
I live down the Interstate highway and they are always great about getting back fast. However, their used stock is not like the other place with Gulf Stream products. They do indeed have many more to pick from. Wishing you the best in getting it repaired.
SGTJAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
Tered0712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjhall View Post
Did a rookie mistake today. Got in hurry to leave park did not do my walk around. Went to slide living room slide. Heard crunching noise went outside propane door is crushed. Dum ass me. Next question where to get a new or used door for a 2007 sun voyager model 8388. Any ideas would be helpful.
I had a similar situation, I saved the hinges and lock and made a new door from perforated sheet metal (diamond ) It is on the back utility compartment but looks nice and normal. Saved allot of money even if I could of found one for mu unit.
Tered0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #5
MAJWayne88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjhall View Post
Did a rookie mistake today. Got in a hurry to leave the park did not do my walk around. Went to slide living room slide. Heard crunching noise went outside propane door is crushed. Dum ass me. Next question where to get a new or used door for a 2007 sun voyager model 8388. Any ideas would be helpful.
I did the exact same thing on a recent departure from a campsite. I was able to force the door closed and able to lock it. When I got home, I removed the door, straightened it as best I could, and it works okay with some battle scarring. The only response I've gotten from Colaw in Missouri is they don't have anything I'm ever looking for, even when I'm looking at the listing! So don't get any expectations of receiving help from them.
MAJWayne88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
jamesham

Default Been there, done that

We have had good luck finding GS parts from some of the surplus stores around the Elkhart area. They buy surplus new stock from factory when there is a model changeover. Bontragers RV Surplus is just across the state line from Elkhart in Michigan. They have a large stock of doors.

Our experience has been that none of the RV surplus stores or RV salvage yards really has any idea of what they have in stock. The only real way to find what will work for you is to visit their location and wander the lot looking. Either that or find a body shop willing to fabricate and paint what you need.

[QUOTE Next question where to get a new or used door for a 2007 sun voyager model 8388. Any ideas would be helpful.[/QUOTE]
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
Stovebolter

I’ve added 3 compartment doors to my BT Cruiser, found a vast selection of new doors on EBay. Good luck.
Stovebolter is offline   Reply With Quote