Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
pchicky

Default Generator fuel supply

We just bought an '09 SuperNova model 6400 and absolutely love it. I asked the dealer at what level the diesel fuel tanks would have to be at to let the Onan 6.0 Genset operate. He told me about 1/2 of a tank, which seems like alot. I'd rather not have to stop every time I get to 1/2 a tank just to fill up to keep the generator running. All you SuperNova owners: how low does your fuel get before your generator is inoperative?
pchicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
JimBob

PChicky

Not sure where I've read it, but I believe that a quarter tank is the lowest recommended level to run your generator. I believe there is an automatic shut off also. Think you might find it in the generator literature. Enjoy your 6400.

JimBob
08SuperNova
Greenwood SC
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
pchicky

Thanks Jim Bob.....your posts were helpful to me in making a selection of the SuperNova....by the way, I'm just up the road from you in Greer.

My last Class C's both would let the generator run down to the 1/4 tank level, and that's what I've heard this one is supposed to do, but wanted to see what folks had actually run their genset down to the 1/4 tank level.

I guess I'll just have to try and see how far it will go.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
JimBob

Well howdy neighbor! We'll have to start a Super Nova club.... Where did you get your Nova? Keep me posted if you have any questions..
I've had the genset runnning at slightly below .25 tank on one trip... Miss Bette usually never lets us get below a quarter tank of fuel for any reason, after we had that one trip out west where we couldn't find any diesel out in the boonies and almost ran dry, despite my assurances that Coach Net would gallantly come to our rescue whereever we were!

Feel free to join us at http:jimbobmissbetteandbuster.blogspot.com for our adventures, we'll be heading to Florida in a couple of weeks, then on the big circle tour starting in February.

Do let us know when your down our way.

JimBob
08SuperNova
Greenwood, SC
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
pchicky

Hey Jim,

I got into your website but didn't see an email address. Mine is [email protected].

I'd be glad to tell you where I got my RV....it was at Martinsburg RV in Martinsburg PA....this is the second motorhome I bought from them and dealt with a guy named Tim Gallagher.....great dealer and good sales experience.

Our local dealer, Outdoor Marine and RV World appears to have gone out of business....lot is completely empty. I did visit Carolina International (got that from your information) and picked up locking gas caps...nice folks there....I'll get my service done there.

Regarding Bette's desire for the 40 footer, I can tell you I absolutely love mine...the floorplan is fantastic and it drives much better than the Kodiak diesel I had before. The chassis on the Kodiak was downright unstable in my opinion. Had to put hefty sway bars on it to keep it from going all over the place. The International chassis doesn't do that in the least bit.

Hey, I'm all for a SuperNova Club....I wonder if we're the only two around these parts with them?