Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #1
RayHarkness

Default Norcold 1200lrm

well..lots of discussions on other sites about this Fridge. Some have great luck..some have BAD luck, plus there are issues with fires from these overheating. Many are taking them out, and putting in a residential fridge. This is probably what I would do when that time comes..or MY time comes! I have some information that may help many with this Norcold 1200LRM Refrigerator.

1. I found the SEAL gone, dried up or however, for whatever reason, around the FINS at the top of the fridge box. I could actually stick a wire or wire tie thru it, and would see it on the backside of the box. That gap was large. The issues we had, fridge would work good, then when we went down the road, the fridge warmed up. Even though it was running. It was literally sucking the cold out of the fridge. Fix: I got some spray in calk, and just went ALL around that seal, and foamed it good. Looks a bit wierd, but it plugged the air leak up. I fought THIS problem for a long time before I found it...duhhhhhhhhhhh

2. Outside air baffle. In the outside area, taking off the exterior trim door, there should be a baffle or device in place, that makes the air flow go RIGHT up the "plumbing" on the back side. There is quite a draft going up thru the back side, and you want that air flow going thru the fins on the backside...However, in hot climates, this may need help.

3. I went to West Marine, purchased a 12v fan. Its about 8" and has 3 speeds on it. I installed a 12v plug in that backside fridge area, (behind the coach skin) and I have that on a switch. I mounted the fan, so it blows upward. carefully...so as not to get tangle up or interfere with any of the wiring and etc. This moves a TON of air. I can turn this off inside if I wish. I have found that this also will cause the fridge to shut off its own fans up on the backside, which I think is better, I would hate to fix those. This fan moves a ton of air, and I can drop the temp considerably. It works...many have done this.....

4. Interior of the box itself. I have found holes in corners and seams. I calked these...just for moisture penetration. I read one post where another Owner, found gaps in seams in the two Freezer boxes. I went and checked. run your fingers inside the front lip, trim, and where it connects with the sidewalls or bottom of the interior walls. There are SEAMS here. there were gaskets that appear to have also disappeared or whatever. This other owne, got some white or very light gray Gorilla tape, and taped over these seams to stop leakage. I did the same. Carefully done, it looks like it came that way. Plus, I used some GOOD kitchen and bath calk, and did the seams and corners back in the freezer boxes....I did NOT know there were gaps from the front plate to the sides and bottom/top of interior freezer box. God that done....

5. Here is an interesting one. I have had both recalls done on the fridge by Norcold. BUT, It still makes me nervous. So, I went to West Marine or any marine store, and bought a small HALON Fire System. It looks like a fire extinguisher, about 1 foot high, and has sense on top. This is designed to be mounted in an engine compartment on boats, to set itself off if engine fire. Halon is good, not powder, and wouldn't make a mess, because this will penetrate everything. When I get to a location, I take that outside hatch cover off, and just set it inside, in the middle of that compartment. You know what, probably don't need to, but we leave our dog inside sometimes, and in my mind, simple as it is, this makes sense. If you were sleeping and something happened, could buy you some time too. However, make sure you do something to remember to remove it when traveling, or it could fall over and trigger itself or something!! I use a clothes pin on my engine key.

Summary: well...my sunday morning epistle obviously because I am bored...and ready to go on a trip. I still have problems with moisture developing inside over time in humid weather. I have 2 of those small fans you an get from Camping world, one blowing sideways across the fins inside, and one down below, just keep the air moving. It helps..but this ain't the quality fridge your momma knew! Looks nice..but...........

So, there ya have it....took me a long time to figure out a lot of these problems, and honestly, I appreciated many others sharing this type of information.

Over and out!!!!!!!!!!!
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Norcold 1200lrm

I have had real good luck with our Norcold 1200 LRIM. We just got back from a one month stay up at EastLake California about twenty miles from San Diego and the temperature around that area is like 75-80 degrees in the day time. The Norcold retained a temperature in the fridge of 34 degrees. Not sure how cold the freezer gets, but the steaks in there are solid as a rock. The ice cream is nice and hard. So yes I have read a lot about some having had some problems with their Norcolds 1200 LRIM, but if you stop and think how many have been installed, they are in the minority. You could have problems with anything that is mechanical. So I am going on twelve years with mine and the only problem I had one time a five amp fuse blew up on board that is located on the outside. You can get to it by removing the outside panel cover, open the black box and there it is. Other then that I can not complain.

I have also thought about going residential if it ever fails. Only one problem is that most residential refrigerators are like two inches taller then the Norcold 1200. I can not go up because it is up to the ceiling already and am not sure if I can go down because I believe that the furnace is there on the Scenic Cruisers.

You also have to have at least six house batteries, a pure sine inverter, some even add solar panels to keep the batteries charged if you do some dry camping.

So we are talking about some bucks to make the conversion. It probably would be easier to just buy another improved Norcold 1200 for $3500. and hope you get the same kind of service as the original.

We use the propane on the Norcold while driving and really like it.

Never have to worry about batteries going dead.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:43 AM   #3
RayHarkness

Default Re: Norcold 1200lrm

actually....I have had good luck since I found the problems. The main problem was that seal around the fins inside the fridge box. Fixed that, and it was fine. I run normally at 6, and it seems good. Freezer could be colder...but I may have found that problem. I think those seals dry up or shrink over time, in the gaps etc, seams. So we will find out.

They made a ton of these. I do know Norcold stepped up to the plate, fixing all of these, that cost them big bucks, so you cant' take it away from them...stand behind their product. I did notice when I put that extra fan in..big difference..and took the load of the fridge fans.

Our problem down here is humidity...fridge gets cold..works reasonably well, but we still get humidity inside, NOW if I could get my wife to not open both doors, and peruse things inside slowly and carefully, I think that would improve!!!
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote