Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
Puettz

Default 2007 Gulf Stream Crescendo Bed Location

I have had several RV's over the years, but this is the first one that had the head of the bed at the window. My wife and I like to sit up in bed and read before calling it a night. If we lean against the window it is crumpling up the accordion shades. I don't want to keep the shades open for obvious reasons and lean against the window. I built a light structure to go around the window, but it is cumbersome and is too big to fit under the bed. (see attached pictures). In addition it is a short queen bed so I lose an additional 4". I am guessing others have had the same issue and am wondering how you rectified the problem. Many thanks!

IMG_4663.jpg

IMG_4664.jpg
Puettz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
JimMartin

good idea!
JimMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
UAHaerospace

that's certainly cumbersome when you have a rear window and like to 'sit up' in bed while reading or watching tv...almost one of those 'what were THEY thinking?!' questions...

but, then again, the next owner would be complaining 'with all this room, why didn't the factory give us a REAR window!!?'... the opposite argument.

Our son's 07 FR Rockwood has the same rear window design. Works for him as he simply uses the bed for sleeping, but our Palazzo with a nice rear headboard works great for us - we spend a lot more time in bed reading and watching tv...

Your design looks like a winner, but yes, there's little option of anything else to do, other than to hinge it in the middle to be able to store under the bed... or, just let it ride on the bed when traveling.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Frutza

Not for sitting up, my concerns were that it's an escape window. I put some ductwork angle inside the vallance to make a track, used a 1/4" piece of oak side to side but a slide lock on top at each side. I can pull the locks easily slide the board down between wall & mattress , it's mot as tall as yours. As for queen size Camping world has a piece you can place between your mattress & the wall to make it longer. I ordered a full size queen & just let the slide squeeze it, I did add longer plywood, 1/8" plywood, just a little longer.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
Puettz

Thanks for the response. I do like the idea of a hinge. The cover is larger than I thought it would be in my head. Unless I store it under the rig, it’s going to be in the way. My wife has a claustrophobia issue and likes her windows open during the day. Thanks again!
Old 07-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #6
Puettz

The escape hatch is also a concern of mine. If you wouldn’t mind posting a couple of pictures of your design, that would be much appreciated. Hey, thanks for the reply.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #7
RayChez1

The window is there for a purpose and that is in case there is a fire and you can not get through you can escape through the window. If you want to read you go to the couch or other places where you can sit and read all you want. Bed rooms are designed for sleeping. But one way to eliminate your problem is to look for another motor home.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #8
Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
The window is there for a purpose and that is in case there is a fire and you can not get through you can escape through the window. If you want to read you go to the couch or other places where you can sit and read all you want. Bed rooms are designed for sleeping. But one way to eliminate your problem is to look for another motor home.
Wow, just wow.
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
jerryg401

Default Bedtime stories

In our 2007 BT Cruiser 5291, we pulled the short queen mattress about 6 in. toward the foot and placed one of those dinette bridge cushions between the mattress and wall, then stacked the other bridge cushion on top of the first one. Once that is done you can raise the accordion shade the height of the top cushion and prop up your pillow. Worked for us and did not block the escape window. (ours had two bedroom windows) and foiled those peeping Toms! Hated those accordion blinds!!!!
jerryg401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #10
Puettz

My wife liked that idea. We are going to give that a try. We also have 2 windows in the bedroom and in the case of an emergency, we will be accessing the emergency window very quickly. Thanks to everyone who replied. Much appreciated.