Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
lockdoc

Default The Gulfstream Train!!

I just wanted to share with you all this pic I snapped this A.M.-
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Timothy

Nice! How does it tow?
Bet that your power parachute in the trailer!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
lockdoc

Tim-It towed great to the point you see in the pic. Then I had to unhook so I could make a U-turn with the 5er as the road was closed at this point. I just had the hitch installed this week and this morning was to be my road test......but two blocks and speeds of up to 30 MPH didn't give me much to judge by. I will post more as I learn more about how this handles. The PPC trailer is as wide as the Sedona so I will not have any problems watching for sway or tire issues. The braking test I did worked great, stopping the rig faster than I used to with just the Sedona. My ppc trailer has brakes too and it seems to work well off the Prodigy.

yep- you guessed right. That trailer is made by Pace for ppc's with the added width and height. I am heading to Kansas in September with this rig so I need to do some road testing.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:47 PM   #4
Timothy

Interesting! So the prodigy can handle both sets of brakes. I suppose as long as both trailer brakes react the same your ok, I would worry about less braking on the rear trailer and possible sway. What is your total length on that setup, here in Wisconsin I know we can double tow with a 65' max length.

I have two moped type scooters that I would like to be able to take with and was looking at a swivel wheel setup that attached to the back of the trailer, the add says you can back up with this setup.

Good luck and hope it all works well for you, I was in Kansas last month, along with several other states in the southwest for three weeks in July.
Didn't have any problems other then had a tire go bad in monument valley Utah, caught it before it blew, and one that did blow out in Missouri. Did some damage to the fender skirt and ripped out the slideout wiring. Had to sit on the interstate in 108 degree heat for three hours waiting for Allstate RV service to find a tire, Allstate dropped our call 5 time without a callback - Im going back to Good Sam emergency road service, it's much better then the Allstate.

I just repaired the slide wiring today and have a new fender ordered. The tires are Carlisle and if you have them get rid of them, they replaced two last year when I had blowouts on the other side of the rig. I noticed that the spare that I put on in Utah is showing signs of belt seperation now too. I'm going to replace all the tires with Goodyear marathons.

Fogot to mention I noticed a lack of braking on the way home from our tirp so I pulled the wheels to have a look. On three of the wheels the pads had seperated from the brake shoes the pads were hardly worn so that what really ticked me off. Replaced all the brake shoes and repacked the wheel bearings and off I go on a trip up North last weekend, everything fine until the return trip my Prodigy starts flashing SH and I have NO trailer brakes. Go a couple of miles and prodigy is normal. This goes on for the whole trip home, so tomorrow have to check all the brake wiring .

Oh well I'll get everything fixed and we'll be off on another adventure, sorry for the long post, and good luck with your double!!
Old 08-13-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Wow! What is the overall length? Was the frame reinforced on the 5er? I am sure that you will get quite a few looks when pulling this and comments.

What does this do your warranty for the frame and possibly any issues you would have on the structure of the 5er? I am sure Gulf Stream would definitely use it as an out to any of those issues if it would ever come up.

Anyway, be very careful. I used to pull doubles when I picked up Haulmark trailers in Indiana. I pulled a 36' gooseneck flatbed loaded with Haulmark trailers and pulled a Haulmark trailer behind it. The only thing I would caution you is to definitely watch for sway when a 18 wheeler passes or crosswinds. Both can cause some hair raising moments.

Have you installed a sway control such as a fiction type on the cargo trailer hitch? This would help with any sway.

Thank goodness I traveled the Indiana, Ohio turnpikes and 4 lane highways all the way except for the last 3 miles. Didn't like doing it when I was getting paid for it and definitely would not do it now for fun.

One other thing, be prepared to be stopped by the Higway Patrol if you ever come into the states of Ohio and Indiana. Be measured for length and possibly wieghed for total weight capacity for tow vehicle. When towing doubles one has painted a target that seems to make the patrol like you.

Good Luck,
Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
lockdoc

Hey guys! Thanks for your input and words of wisdom, I really appreciate it!

This rig as measured with a 25' tape by myself (I will redo with help and 100' tape) came out in between 65-66'. I can see the trailer in the mirrors so I should be able to see any sway as it starts to happen and react accordingly. The GVWR was already blown with the pin weight from the Sedona, but has been helped by adding air ride bags to the truck. I should still be within GCVWR however as the rear trailer and cargo should be less than 2000 pounds. I will only pull like this on a few occasions, when going to a fly-in for the ppc as example.

GS did tell me that the frame mfg will disallow any frame warranty claims or possibly side wall stress cracks that might show up as now that I added a hitch they cannot dictate how much weight I will pull. This risk was assesed and it was decided to proceed with the hitch. I had it built by someone who welds and fabricates for a living and he put better welds on the made up I-beam that is our framework and wleded tabs with studs to the underside rail to bolt the new hitch into place with. I can drop the hitch by removing 4 nuts. The hitch was made to extend about 4 feet up the frame rails to help distribute the weight loading and releive the pressure from the very rear end of the frame/trailer.

I have yet to take this rig on the open road and get up to highway speed, but I plan on doing a trial run before I take off on a longer voyage. I do have an anti sway (friction type) device but haven't installed it on this trailer. My experience with them from my toyhauler days tell me that if the trailer does go a little askew then you have just as much friction holding on getting the trailer straightened behind you again. I am not sold on these units yet. I tried it for one trip and came home and bought a Hensley for the TH.

Again, thanks for the input. I try and learn from all of the experiences out there.

Kevin
Old 08-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

Here's a website that lists all the trailer towing laws, Required equipment, lengths, etc.

http://www.recvehicle.com/laws.html

According to the website the state of Minnesota does not allow towing of two trailers.

Ron
Old 08-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #8
lockdoc

Hey Ron-

Thanks for the link. That has some outdated info and incorrect as far as Minnesota is concerned however. The total legal length is now 70' and double tow has always been allowed as long as the first trailer is a 5er. I have seen several of these lists and I don't think any 2 are the same all the way through them.

Kevin
Old 08-14-2006, 07:24 AM   #9
Roy Buzzard

Tim,

I know we had some posts a while back on the carlisle's. they offered to replace mine as well when I had 2 go in a 1 week span. I turned them down then and went to the Marathons. Had the marathons on my previous camper and had one go out on me after 6 seasons.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
lockdoc

I got the pic resized so it fits better!

I am having a problem getting my wife to think about tires when "they are new" tires on it now! They do say Carlisle on them however and with all of the comments on here.....I am nervous to say the least!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:03 PM   #11
Roy Buzzard

I understand that completely, it is hard to put out $400 on a set of tires on a camper that is less than a year old. But I know I feel alot better towing, now that I have.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #12
gsadmin

My personal opinion in two words:

"COMPLETELY INSANE"
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #13
lockdoc

Now I have a big dilemma! My father in law just offered me use of his 40' DP Dutch Star to take my trailer with my powered parachute to Kansas with. So do I double tow all the way to Kansas.....or drive his big DP and not have a truck on the Kansas end to tool around in? lol....I am glad that I have such a tough choice to be able to make!!
Old 08-17-2006, 10:21 AM   #14
GStream40
Site Team

Take the DP and save your nerves and knuckles!!

You can always rent a car.

Ron
Old 08-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #15
gsadmin

Take the DP and throw a scooter in the trailer

Either that or let me know in advance when/if you come through UT so I can plan accordingly to stay indoors.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:55 PM   #16
RJ82much

...or tool around town in your powered 'chute. Just watch out for the power lines!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #17
Retird2Golf

Send a message via MSN to Retird2Golf

DP orNO DP, that is the question ........

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm your kidding, RIGHT ??