Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
The Boat

Default Wall Mounted AC condensation drain 19RBC

We have a 2012 19RBC. We dry camp with our TT and power the whole setup with a Honda EU2000 that does very well and is quiet. It will not power the microwave with the AC running but thats not a big problem. We just shut off major power using devices for the time the microwave is used. I also turn off the eco throttle function on the generator while using the AC or microwave. It works much better that way. When the weather is cooler I turn the generators eco throttle on and it handles all the loads fine at a lower speed gas consumption and noise level. I made a 6 gallon aux gas tank that will feed the generator all day if necessary even throttled up for the AC
My problem is the wall mounted AC condensation drain does not seem to work right. I set up the TT leaning slightly down on the AC unit side. It does drain a little that way but as soon as I move the TT condensation drains out into the cabin counters and floor.
Anybody had any experience with this issue?
I wanted to get some advice before I start taking things apart.
The Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
gsragtop

Default Re: Wall Mounted AC condensation drain 19RBC

Yes I have the same issue, and what I do is when I'm done using it, I jack up the door side and lower the AC side to let it drain.. Also last time out I was able to run the one side up a soft curb on my way out of the park and that drained the remaining water. These units are designed to run wet, its the swamp cooler thing.
gsragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
richardhagar

I too had the problem of the wall mounted A/C draining inside the camper. The problem is the Danby brand A/C that Gulfstream chose to use. In desperation I pulled the unit out and ran it on a bench. You would have to see it for yourself to believe it. What happens is the "pan" or bottom of the unit fills up to a point and there is a hole in the center of the bottom that acts like a toilet flush siphon. Trust me, you can't make this up. It was pretty easy to see what needed to be done. What I did was to seal up the "toilet flush hole" with black silicone RTV and then to hedge my bet I modified the base pan by cutting the back corners and bending the back of the pan down. I had to cut part of the rear protective screen away also so the modified pan could stick through. It's a little unsightly from outside the camper but no more water inside my camper. I felt like this should have been a recall because water was "flushing" all the way to the bottom of my pantry right where all of the electrical hookups and converter are installed.
richardhagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:28 AM   #4
atreis

Same problem here. I drilled a hole in the back corner of the AC unit (very difficult to do without also drilling the coils inside - use one of those devices that will prevent the bit from going more than a couple millimeters in). I then made a somewhat larger hole in the same corner of the black plastic that surrounds the AC screen on the outside of the trailer. Looks are unchanged unless you know where to look and it works without jacking the trailer up on one side.

While I had the AC out, I also worked on the aluminum tray the trailer came with for under the AC unit. Mine stopped well short of the wall, so any water that got on it would just run down inside the wall. I reworked is to that it extends out to the plastic surround and will drain through the same hole the AC drains through.

BTW - it's not a Danby issue. (Danby is actually a decent brand.) Frigidaire, GE, Amana - they're all designed similarly. (I wouldn't be surprised if they're all made in the same Chinese factory. )