Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Kenkolen

Default best way to hook up in motion satellite to tvs

I have a 2006 Yellowstone DP, I have the Sony surround sound with the av selector. Has anyone experienced installing a satellite dish to the two tvs?
Kenkolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
tarheel

Kenkolin-
I hope you get an answer, I just decided to connect my new Direct TV service in my Tour Master which I believe has the same set up as yours. So, I'll be waiting on a reply to your question.

Dick
Old 06-23-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
GO BLUE

I have direct tv .in motion .....one box.. hooked up to 4 tv's just plug and play...jim k
Old 06-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Kenkolen

Did you install it? Where did you run your wires through, from the roof, drilling through to each tv location?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
GO BLUE

Unfortunately mine came prewired in each area jim k
Old 06-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Kenkolen

I have the cabinet with the AV Switch box and the Sony Sourround sound, is that what you are refering to by prewired?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
GO BLUE

Yes in that cabinet on the wall there should be a coax connection that says satellite in........that connects to your direct tv box...then you connect the box to you av distributor using the white red and yellow cables.....do you have a satelite on the roof????? jim k
Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
GO BLUE

If you dont have a sat on roof you can buy a portable dish at camping world look in you bays by the electric and it shoud have a "satellite in" coax fitting...once you find that and hook up all cables you will have to find the satellite by moving the dish...here in fla I have to aim over the southwest you can go into set up on direct tv once you get that screen...jim k....Im leaving work and will look at forum when I get home......
Old 06-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
Kenkolen

I will be installing an in motion satellite on the roof. It has two outputs for each television. I have a schematic that Gulf Stream sent me, there is the AVS100 switch box but it only has one SAT input.
I guess I could use the vcr for tv 1 and sat for tv 2. Do you know I could put both directtv boxes in this cabinet. I would just have to get up to change the channel at the box. I wonder if there are ir remotes that work on different frequencies then I could put sensors in the bedroom and in over the drivers seat tv.
I could e mail you the schematic, I don't know how to upload it.

Neal
Miami Fl
Old 06-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
GO BLUE

I only use 1 cable from my dish..the av box controls what tv gets what signal...1 can be on direct 1 on dvd and 1 on batwing all all 4 on the same thing...I bought an IR remote from radio shack 1st kit was transmitter and receiver for $40 then I bought xtra transmitters for $20 each put them in bedroom and outside bay...I have 11 tvs at home with 7 direct boxes but I can change any tv with remotes jim k
Old 06-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
Kenkolen

I am not sure I understand how one cable from the satellite receiver can be hooked up to multiple satellite receiver boxes and can show different channels on the two different tv's? I always thought you needed a dish with multiple LNB's. For example the KVN R5SL I am using has two RF outputs, one for each satellite reciever boxes.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
03heritagerider

Quote:
I am not sure I understand how one cable from the satellite receiver can be hooked up to multiple satellite receiver boxes and can show different channels on the two different tv's?
I don't think you can. As far as I've been told by DirectTV techs and others, the splitter needs to be between the dish and the receiver box(s)

Most antenna dishes have two leads coming out. Those two leads go into a SAT splitter that can have as many as eight outputs (The splitter has to be specific to your satellite service provider). Each output needs to go to a receiver box and can not be split again. If you do, only one will get a picture.

I have 3 TV's (Living room Bedroom and Outside bay), so I bought a splitter that is capable of outputting to 4 receiver boxes. I hooked one output to the "CATV IN" and one to the "SAT IN" connections in the electrical bay. I then connected the CATV coax in the AV compartment to the receiver box for the living room TV and the SAT coax to the receiver box for the bedroom.

Since there are only two internal wires running through the coach I lay a third line on the ground under the coach that goes directly to the third receiver box in the outside TV bay.

I hope that some of this made sense.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
Chuck v

If you wish to watch two separate programs using two satellite receivers you do indeed need to have two coax runs from the dual LNB dish, one to each of the receiver locations. The AV selector box that came with your coach can send one of four base-band AV sources to each of four display locations, but this handles only the OUTPUT of the satellite receiver(S) not the input RF from the LNB(s.)

Note also that the AV switch box does not do HDTV (only composite...) so that is another reason you might want to co-locate the satellite receiver with an HDTV display. I believe that David Bott has done some rewiring on his coach that allows HDMI routing to his displays...

With our own coach, we use only the dish antenna that came with it (not an in-motion style) and have never needed simultaneous, separate programing for just the two of us. Granted, you might want to see sports programming on the 'patio' and another person watch a cooking show inside or some similar bifurcation of needs, but that sort of dual programming use is much harder to envision while en-route.

If you received an AV schematic from GulfStream, I would definitely appreciate getting a copy via e-mail...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Kenkolen

Send me your e mail address and I will forward the schematic.

I know there is a way to upload it as a jpg or pdf file. It would be nice if we had a section to keep files, the monaco yahoo group is excellent, they keep an ongoing list of on line files.

I am not concerned with HDTV since it is not available through the in motion dish, so it appears I have answered my own question. I will install the two seperate receiver boxes into the av cabinet and use the composite monitor jacks that already run through the coach, Box 1 could be the "Sat" on the av switch box and "VCR" Could be box 2.

Funny myself and my 10 year old witll be the only ones that know how to operate the system though.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
GO BLUE

If you are trying to use both cables and two different boxes on two different satellites it won't work their is a primary box and the in motion finds that satellite ....you can watch all the channels on that sat only, on both boxes .....for example espn and speed channel are on the same sat but my locals are on a different sat I cant watch both on two different tvs if you had a fixed dish you couldn't see espn and my locals without moving the dish....some locals are on the same sat but not everwhere....jim k
Old 06-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
Kenkolen

I agree, everyone has to be on the same Satelite.
But if you want to watch two different channels from the same satellite you need to cables from the satellite dish to two differnt boxes for each television.
So my plan is to use the av switch box and put both satellite receivers in the cabinet using the composite monitor jacks that are running to the tv's. This way I have less running of cables through the coach.

That leaves the next problem, I have to get up and change the channel on the box manually because the remote will change both boxes.

How do I resolve that issue? Any ideas?

I was thinking IR Extenders, with those you paste the trasmitter on the ir sensor from the satellite box. How selective do you think that would be to have each remote hitting an individual box?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #17
GO BLUE

I'm not sure if different frequencies are available on the remotes ....in my case I have a couple transmitters in the bus and three at home when I park the bus in my driveway at home and change channels remotely in the bus ...it also changes the channels in the stick house jim k
Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #18
hyall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO BLUE
If you are trying to use both cables and two different boxes on two different satellites it won't work their is a primary box and the in motion finds that satellite ....you can watch all the channels on that sat only, on both boxes .....for example ESPN and speed channel are on the same sat but my locals are on a different sat I cant watch both on two different TVs if you had a fixed dish you couldn't see ESPN and my locals without moving the dish....some locals are on the same sat but not everwhere....jim k
I have the same RV I do use two separate receivers one in the bedroom and the living room there is a coaxial connector by it self that s coming from the sat dish and I don't move the dish for different channels
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #19
David Bott

Sorry I was late to the game on this one...

Not sure if you have service yet or not, but Dish Network has a box, the 722K DVR, which has two outputs in it and you can use it on 2 different TV's. It comes with 2 remotes for this reason. Dish Network is also the choice to go with if you want HiDef with a dome sat based on the LNB type used in most domes. Note, hidef with the 722K is limited to 1 TV with the second TV needing to be standard def.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote