Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
kart74

Default Supernova battery, invester, genny

HELP! The red light on the switch on the generator is on and making a clicking sound. It won't go off when I turn the fuse switch off. In the battery compartment there looks like a cable hooked to one of the batteries is not connected or broke off going to the inverter? Anyone have any ideas? We are up north camping and have never had something like this happen before!

Janice
kart74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Texas TC

If you have not already, call Coachnet. They will walk you through any repair or remedy that will successfully take care of your problem. I have found them to be a great asset with issues and they have schematics and information in their system that should help you.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Frosty

What's the number to Coachnet? I'm going on a long one here soon and what to be prepared. Thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
kart74

Well, this is what we discovered. The strap on the front battery broke which in turn made the ground wire break. That tells you how hard this thing hits and the movement from hitting that hard is taking it's toll. We had to open up the genny and pull a fuse in order to get it to quit clicking. Something loose inside or bad solenoid maybe? I sure hope the air ride makes a difference with this kinda stuff. I don't know how it is going to make a difference with how hard the front hits tho. Any ideas on whats up with that?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Texas TC

Coachnet is at 1-877-801-0333. If you are not a member, you will have to join but it is worth having for the peace of mind in situations like you have just experienced not to mention a flat tire, lockout or other road issue. Also, Coachnet covers all of your vehicles when you purchase the service for your coach. I got the first year free with the SuperNova and have paid for it for the last two years.

I am glad you diagnosed the problem and found at least a temporary solution if not a full remedy.

The ACE air suspension system smooths out the ride throughout the coach. You will find an occasional front end porpoise but not nearly as often as when you have the original "hard tail" (yep, I'm a long time Harley rider) suspension.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
kart74

Well the coach is at Cummins as we speak. I am so excited to see what the difference will be after the ACE system is installed. They are gonna look at the genny to find out what is goin on with that Hopefully nothing too expensive, yeah right. "Front end Porpoise?" "hard tail"?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Texas TC

Porpoising is the act of the front end of the coach moving up and down using the rear end as a pivot point. The act of bouncing in the front while the rear stays solid.

"Hard tail" is a term for the original Harley-Davidson motorcycles that had no rear suspension with the exception of springs under the seat. I have adapted that term to the International chassis where there are only high capacity springs with no shocks in the rear so, in essence, there is no suspension at all.

Sorry for the confusion and good luck with you install and generator repair.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
agood214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC
Porpoising is the act of the front end of the coach moving up and down using the rear end as a pivot point. The act of bouncing in the front while the rear stays solid.

"Hard tail" is a term for the original Harley-Davidson motorcycles that had no rear suspension with the exception of springs under the seat. I have adapted that term to the International chassis where there are only high capacity springs with no shocks in the rear so, in essence, there is no suspension at all.

Sorry for the confusion and good luck with you install and generator repair.
Oh man TC-

If I had known i was buying a hard tail I would have had Dave Mann paint a mural and put some more chrome and leather on my GS...

Glad the OP got it figured out - it's always hair raising with each breakage...
agood214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
kart74

LOL, thanks Texas TC. I have quite a few brother in laws that drive Harleys, ya think I would have heard that sometime. Now the "hardtail" maybe I can relate with as my son in law has a 38 Harley that has those springs under the seat! Must be a rough ride. As always you are a wealth of information