Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-11-2022, 07:37 AM   #1
Jorgy

Default Instrument panel falling away from wood dash

I have a 1995 Sunsport on a P32 chassis. I’ve only had it for a couple of years and have been fixing it up a little at a time. It is in really nice shape for it’s age.

I was driving along when suddenly the instrument cluster fell away from the wood dash on one side. When I felt the wood panel, it felt like a screw pulled out. I pulled over and took a tiny bungee cord and tied it up so it wouldn’t rip out the other side. As you know getting under the dash with all the wires is tough. Can I do anything from the front side? Are the wires long enough under there to pull the wood dash portion out and fix it from the front and reinstall? I don’t even want to attempt it unless I know from you all that it is possible. All I need to do is to accidentally disconnect a bunch of wires, not knowing where they go, etc. That would be a can of worms. I also wonder how a new screw is going to resolve this issue. More than likely the screw will be going into the same hole just because of the alignment of the dash. Also, was this dash system designed so you can pull off the wood portion to work on it. Any suggestions for solutions would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB893FF9-8C92-4208-B812-4ACACC728D93.jpg (186.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg E3C21523-BCEE-4D12-9A85-14450801C001.jpg (164.7 KB, 1 views)
Jorgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:22 AM   #2
RabbitStream

Hello Jorgy...all the quick disconnect plug in the back of the cluster panel are unique shapes...and should have 2 or 3 so hard to mixed them up. You can also mark them with permanent marker if you want to make sure you will put them back at the same place. It's very hard to give an advise without beeing able to see how the attachements are made but maybe you can put a tab from inside that will hold the cluster in place or try to put epoxy on the plastic stud and rebuild it because i presume the plastic stud is probablely broken...or if you have access...pull the cluster toward the dash with succion cup and glue it with silicone or with a hot glue gun...very clean...but hard to give you a solution not seeing it... Good Luck...
RabbitStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:28 AM   #3
Jorgy

Thank you RabbitStream. Some good thoughts to ponder. I appreciate your response and suggestions for solutions.
Jorgy is offline   Reply With Quote