Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
aprild

Default Suggestions on SUV to Tow With?

Hi,

I've purchased one of these and I need to find something to tow it with. I would really like to get an SUV or even something like an Econoline van but wanted to get some input from others about what type I should get.

I have a 2006 Fema. 4660 dry weight.

Would a 2500 Suburban work? Or Econoline? Thanks for your help!
aprild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
Wmck

Default Towing suggestions

Whatever you choose make sure you check the vehicles oweners manual for towing as well as tongue weight capacity

Ensure you include the weight of any cargo to include water in the tanks. It is best id you calculate the weight of all full tanks

Don't max out your tow vehicle or youre going to have trouble with accelerating and on hills. Youll also wear out your vehicle faster

I dont exceed 2/3 capacity on my rig

Good luck
Wmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
aprild

Thank you for your response. To be honest, I'm a little confused on what the numbers mean and what tow capacity (weight) I should be looking for in the vehicle I'll pull the travel trailer with.

In the owner's manual for the travel trailer it says:
GVWR: 6200 pounds
UVW: 4660 pounds
NCC: 1540 pounds

For the UVW it says underneath this that this includes the weight at the trailer axles and tongue or pin.

The previous owner pulled it around with a half ton truck. But i'm really looking for some kind of SUV or van to use instead of a truck. So I'm just looking for a general idea about what I'm going to need to be looking for to buy to move this thing. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
Wmck

Ok it looks like your trailer's maximum weight will be 6200 lbs. You will want a tow vehicle that can tow at least 9000 lbs. You can check the suburban or yukon tonsee what they can tow

I have a small trailer with a max weight of 3800lbs. I drive a tacoma that can tow 6600. It hauls well but the mpg is cut in half

Whatever you use, make sure you have at least 1/3 extra capacity in your tow vehicle. Dont listen to a salesperson who simply quotes the spec sheet. The vehicle will be able to handle the weight but will struggle on hills, with wind and you wont have any reserve power for emergencies

Hope this helps
Old 05-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
aprild

This helps a lot. Thank you.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #6
Wmck

Default Suv to tow

I just checked and the 2019 suburban can tow over 8k lbs. As long as you empty your tanks before moving you should be fine and well within the vehicles abilities