Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-18-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
Bogdan

Default fresh water fill

Hello and good day.
well we bought a new to us 2018 5270 that we love, however when I got home
and tried to put water in for a short trip, water kept coming back out at me.

so I open things up and the fill line is lower then the tank ???? who did not think this one up.
well I guess I could cut a hole on the top of the tank and fill with jug, 5 gal at a time

has anyone run into this or is it just mine

Thanks

Bob G.
Bogdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
gr8day

I have a 2005 5270 and have the same problem. I bought a lock on cap with a long plastic tube on it meant to correct this type of problem and it did not work well. I cut the tube off and the force of the water keeps the fill line clear most times and allows the tank to fill.
gr8day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:50 PM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

I assume someone has replaced/ rerouted fill line, but another likely possibility is VENT is clogged by spiders/ mud daubers. Newer water connection/ fill/ vent boxes have a screen, older do not. Luck
Old 08-30-2021, 07:14 AM   #4
ezdriver

I'm another 2005 2750 owner who was frustrated by the uphill water fill.
I use a hose to fill the tank, if I have no nozzle on the hose, I can press it tight enough into the fill hole where most of the water will be forced into the tank, it doesn't take a lot of pressure. I previously used a slightly smaller diameter plastic hose attached to the hose, and this slipped a couple of feet into the fill tube, but it's simpler to just hold it.
Equally frustrating was the automatic draining of the tank. As I went down the road, it seemed the water was being siphoned out of the smaller overflow tube, or spilling out on corners, etc.
Solved that by splicing a ball valve into the vent hose. Open the valve when filling or using, close when driving. Fortunately there is good access below the bed.
ezdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
Bogdan

no spiders just a VERY bad design, water does not go up very well. lol
Bogdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713
Default Re: FW Tank Gravity Fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdriver View Post
I'm another 2005 2750 owner who was frustrated by the uphill water fill.
I use a hose to fill the tank, if I have no nozzle on the hose, I can press it tight enough into the fill hole where most of the water will be forced into the tank, it doesn't take a lot of pressure. I previously used a slightly smaller diameter plastic hose attached to the hose, and this slipped a couple of feet into the fill tube, but it's simpler to just hold it.
Equally frustrating was the automatic draining of the tank. As I went down the road, it seemed the water was being siphoned out of the smaller overflow tube, or spilling out on corners, etc.
Solved that by splicing a ball valve into the vent hose. Open the valve when filling or using, close when driving. Fortunately there is good ac cess below the bed.
WARNING: DFROM WHAT I HAVE READ, most GRAVITY FILL tanks like yours/ mine will SPLIT WIDE OPEN if pressurized? The FILL DEVICE HOSE ATTACHMENT has a 1/4-3/8 hole in the valve that helps PREVENT pressurization, if the VENT remains unclogged. FITTINGS (esp. plastic) for the 1/2" ID Hose have a 1/4" ID, so that is the restriction. Recently changing my FILL and VENT hoses to inspect/repair a leak and remove old/ moldy/ stained. What I found was the 1-1/4" tank fill hose fitting was fixed, rigid. (REQUIRED 1-3/8" Hose) The VENT however was 1/2" Female thread, so a 1/2" Male x 1/2" Barb black Plastic ELBOW fitting was screwed in. Found this elbow was cracked, and (some previous owner or tech) had simply gobbed a bunch of putty around both fittings that had to be removed. I REMOVED all putty/ cleaned, and installed a new white NYLON Elbow. I also removed clamp from VENT, as would rather it blow off if vent hose clogged than to split tank? I will be trying to add a SCREEN to vent hose air port to prevent future insect intrusion. .Newer model fill ports have a screen (After this 100-deg weather leaves, so maybe this week?) LUCK IN YOUR PROGRESS.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:29 AM   #7
Henry111

When employing a water hose for my trailer's facility, H2O doesn't leave a hose taste. The fittings are heavy-duty and have high-quality fittings that hold securely to the trailer with no leaks. i will be able to order another one because sometimes i want the additional length to flush the TV and RV.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 12:55 AM   #8
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry111 View Post
When employing a water hose for my trailer's facility, H2O doesn't leave a hose taste. The fittings are heavy-duty and have high-quality fittings that hold securely to the trailer with no leaks. i will be able to order another one because sometimes i want the additional length to flush the TV and RV.
I think someone has been drinking....and not from the water hose.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 03:03 PM   #9
Bill Bateman

2019 5230 .. Same problem almost. The fill is just an inch or so higher than the tank opening. I properly rerouted the fill hose but still need tp put a 4" or more ramp under my right rear tires when the rig is otherwise level. This gives the 3' run enough angle for water to go on at an acceptable rate.
Bill Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote