Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-04-2022, 04:53 PM   #1
Angel

Default Batteries

Just replaced all 6 house batteries. And now when I flip the battery disconnect at the door (to turn it back on)
All I get is clicking
Checked the solenoid and notice one of the fuse connectors??? Is the cause
But that runs the house
Help
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:45 PM   #2
Bike Dr

First things first.. not real sure of your meaning with you noticed a fuse.. but make sure that all of the new batteries were connected exactly the same configuration as the original batteries. Now that is assuming all worked fine before the battery swap! That is critical to make sure they are correct or it could cause damage to the batteries or connected items.. please recheck the way the batteries are all connected and tightened securely and correct, that sounds like your problem at this point. I hope this helps for starters..

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' weller's inclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:13 PM   #3
Angel

2 Questions Please
is it possible the batteries are not fully charged could that be the problem and
if not is there somewhere I can find a wiring diagram to show me the batteries were wired properly
Old 10-05-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
Bike Dr

I am assuming they are new batteries and charged in the previous post.
Yes low batteries could cause un wanted low voltage clicking in the solenoid possibly.
Typically the house batteries are wired in series meaning positive to negative.
Parallel is positives together and negatives together..
Now the manufacturer of your particular model coach should have or be able to get you the exact wiring diagram to help.
When installing new batteries they should be all charged evenly! This helps them all work together to charge and discharge evenly from the start,
If you are doing it yourself you will need to locate the main positive and negative on the coach and your batteries need to be wired in series and the last two connections will be the mains to the coach the six batteries in series is a lot of amps if you are inexperienced please get help as to not harm yourself or damage your coach. Please pay attention!!!!
I have 6 batteries also but 2 only crank the main engine and the other 4 run the coach!
2 are wired parallel
4 are wired in series/parallel
I hope this helps a little more!

2005 41'4 Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Old 10-05-2022, 02:48 PM   #5
Chuck v

Bike Dr,

Can you show us pictures of your four house batteries wired in series? Even if they were 6 volt cart batteries, that would result in a 24 volt battery bank -- and it is very unlikely your coach uses a 24 volt system. If these four house batteries are all 6 volt golf cart units, then they would be wired in series/parallel to achieve a high amp hour bank. If they are all 12 volt batteries, then they should be wired in parallel to achieve a high amp hour bank. Both banks would be 12 volt (which is the typical house DC system in these coaches...) See the attached image for the series/parallel case for cart batteries...

I fully understand the chassis (engine starting) batteries being two each 12 volt units wired in parallel...that was true in my coach as well.

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12 volt system with four each 6-volt cart batteries.pdf (59.5 KB, 16 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:45 PM   #6
Bike Dr

Yes Chuck to get into more detail you are correct!
That is why I mentioned having the original manufacturer give the correct wiring for their specific needs. With out knowing there model I was simply giving the basics on the two types of wiring to help aid in their problem with limited info..
And I also knew how many of users out their like you would most definitely have input.
Now that we have your attention maybe you would give a link as you have to help aid in helping angel get straight. I also knew if I miss worded anything I would be sure to be straighten out by someone with a different opinion.
But that's how we all help one another! Thanks for your Detailed info again Chuck
And good luck angel!!

LIFE IS GOOD!!! LIVING IT!!!

2005 41'4 8410 SE CAT
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Old 10-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #7
Angel

I am not good at this either lol
I don’t know how to upload a picture
My coach is a 2008 Gulf Stream Yellowstone 40ul workhorse
Old 10-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #8
Chuck v

Bike Dr -- yes there are many variations in coach electrical systems, and documentation is hard to come by. My 2007 Tour Master had three battery banks...one pair of 12 volt batteries for the Chassis, another pair of 12 volt batteries for the House, and a third bank of four 6-volt cart batteries in the series/parallel configuration pictured above for the inverter bank.

Angel -- your coach is likely a diesel pusher from what I gather from the model number you listed. Do you also have a four digit model number designation as many GS coaches use for unique floor plan identification?

Where are the six batteries located? Are they all in the basement bay mid-ship, or are some up front like my coach to power the inverter? Posting images on this site is a bit unlike other sites I visit, so I just use the paper clip icon to attach. The image insert icon needs a url link, so I don't bother with it. The paper clip icon allows for JPG and PDF among other formats, with size limits. You only see the clip icon when in 'advanced' mode...

Below is a highlighted battery compliment specification on my particular coach -- do you have a similar brochure page for your unit?

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:29 PM   #9
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

You need to TEST VOLTAGE w/ meter at POS/NEG cables going to coach.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:33 AM   #10
Bike Dr

Hello angel. I was curious to know if you were able to resolve your battery issue's?
I hope so and good luck in any case!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 ATRIUM 8410 SE CAT
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper