Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-30-2022, 04:45 PM   #1
Jorgy

Default Rear shock replacement-HELP!

I’m replacing my rear shocks with Bilsteins on my 1995 GS Sunsport with P30/P32 chassis. I had to use a puller to remove the top of the shock which left the rubber on the mount. Now I’m not so sure. I cut the rubber away from what I thought was the shock sleeve. I can’t see a seam or break between the sleeve and the chassis mount. Even the threaded end looks questionable but there may be a gap because it does appear to suck in the PB Blaster that I’ve been using. I don’t want to assume this “sleeve” is removable and heat it up, try to rotate it, if my assumptions are wrong. Any coaching would be appreciated. I thought this would be reasonably straightforward to remove and replace the rear shocks. Thank you ahead of time for any coaching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43BC44F4-9B37-407E-AD88-0E139421D0AD.jpg (180.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 87D1518B-3BF9-49B8-8E24-08815E238B3F.jpg (293.2 KB, 3 views)
Jorgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 08:45 PM   #2
Bike Dr

Hello! That stud do not remove it as it is the shock mount!!
That is not a sleeve it's a shouldered stud to stop the nut from over tightening and crushing the shock
Just clean off both of those studs and the new shock will slip right on that stud and a washer and nut that's it..
If you look at your new shock it should have holes with the rubber bushings inside ready to slip on those studs in your pictures..
Good luck!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' Weller's inclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:51 AM   #3
Jorgy

Default Rear shock replacement - HELP!

Thanks Bike Dr but it actually did end up being just the shock sleeve rusted onto the chassis shock mount. I heated it up and was able to get a pipe wrench on it and slowly work it back and forth until I got it off. Cleaned up the shock mount, anti seized it and got the new shocks put back on. Thanks for your reply.
Jorgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 08:15 AM   #4
Bike Dr

Outstanding! I'm glad you were able to work it out. Thanks for the update..I don't have that model.
And that just goes to show the differences.
I have air ride but the mounts on my hummer look just like them but mine were shouldered studs. But still the same principle in the end.. shocks are a simple thing but as you noticed they can be a PITA!!
Oh and I meant to mention, apply some antisieze to the new bushing and it will prevent that from happening in the future!!
Happy camping!!

LIFE IS GOOD!!! LIVING IT!!!

2005 41'4 Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' Weller's inclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote