Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-01-2023, 04:31 PM   #1
renman43

Default Can’t locate Shutoff and bypass valves

Recently purchased a nice 2005 bt touring cruiser. I have owned two motor homes before this one, and they had shutoff and bypass valves at the hot water heater, a bypass valve and rv antifreeze intake at the pump. This one has none of these that I can locate. Anybody have some advice? Soon I will need to dewinterize, and I’m wondering where the valves might be located. Any advice would be appreciated.
renman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:24 PM   #2
Leisure Time Larry

BT Cruisers have come in many model configurations. What is your model number? Or, if unknown, what is the length and a description of the floor plan?
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:54 PM   #3
renman43

My rv, new to me, is a 2005 bt cruiser model 5230 v10 24 feet long.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:57 PM   #4
renman43

2005 bt touring cruiser model 5230 v10 24 feet. Sorry if I am replying twice. New to the forum.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:06 AM   #5
Leisure Time Larry

No worries. I'm less familiar with the 5230 since I have a BT Cruiser 5211, but I think I can help. The systems on these are VERY basic. First, mine is plumbed so that there is only one valve to turn for NORMAL/BYPASS modes of the water heater. That is located just to the rear of the water heater on the inside of the coach. My guess is that you can access yours by removing the lower drawer under the rear closet by the main door. Pull out, lift slightly, pull more and lower the front and lifting the rear slide wheels out of the track. Even if it's not there, take some photos of what is under and back there for future reference. If it's not there, my second guess would be access from under the bathroom sink, to the left.

There is no bypass valve or antifreeze intake line standard on mine. Just a line from the freshwater tank to the water pump. My water pump is easily accessible, so I just made my own hose out of clear tubing with a proper fitting that screws onto the inlet side of the water pump. When I winterize, I just empty the freshwater tank, unscrew the line going into the pump, screw on my custom hose onto the pump, put the other end into a bottle of antifreeze then run the pump and turn on the faucets one-by-one to get antifreeze through the lines.

For de-winterizing, find the 3 gate valves in the system...1 is the freshwater tank drain. It is usually near the tank and pump which should be under your passenger side sofa. The pump and drain valve may be hidden under a plywood box under the sofa. 2 is the low-point drain for the COLD water lines and 3 is the low-point drain for the HOT water lines. The low point drains should be in the outside compartment just forward of the sewer valves. Just make sure all 3 are shut so that you can fill and pressurize your system properly.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 09:59 AM   #6
RY469

The water heater bypass and extra (antifreeze) suction hose on the water pump on your old unit, if not on the new one, can be installed as a kit. Most RV dealerships sell (and install) these as a normal add-on.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:52 PM   #7
renman43

Thanks so much. I have located the the hot water bypass valve next to the kitchen sink as per your advice. I had looked in that compartment before but had not stuck my head in there far enough to see it where it is somewhat recessed to the far right. I had already located the fresh water drain which has an “open close” valve under the drivers side couch. Also the water pump is there, but again no valves, gate or otherwise on that, and no tube for rv antifreeze. I’m thinking the po must have just used compressed air to clear the lines, put the any rv antifreeze in the drains. I also found the gate valves for the line drains in the little compartment next to the grey and black water drains as you indicated. Again, thanks so much for your excellent advice.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:57 PM   #8
renman43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY469 View Post
The water heater bypass and extra (antifreeze) suction hose on the water pump on your old unit, if not on the new one, can be installed as a kit. Most RV dealerships sell (and install) these as a normal add-on.
Thanks. I will likely do that.

Tags
bt touring cruiser, shutoff valves?