Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
galena

Default Super Nova Tire Pressure

I am sure this subject has been beat to death, but I can't find. What are the tire pressures you are running on your Super Nova, front and back?
galena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Texas TC

100 front and 100 rear. I did a search on tire pressures vs. weight and talked to International. According to our coach weights, we could actually run less (85-90 psi) but I do not trust lowering the psi under 100. I feel tire heat and stress on the tire would surface at pressures lower than 100. The technicians at International agreed with this. When they service my coach, they always put 100 psi in the tires. The placard on the door says 120 but I would not think of running that much pressure with the little weight we are carrying.

This time of year and when it gets warm again are critical times to change the pressure in the tires. When the weather got cooler, I noticed my pressure had dropped to 90 psi. Last spring when the weather got warmer, the pressures inflated to 105.

BTW, I added the short, braided, valve stem extensions from Camping World to make it easier to check the inner duals. It makes my life much easier when I check or add air. A small pancake style air compressor that I bought at Home Depot will air all my tires to 100 psi so I can maintain the tire pressure at home. It is actually small enough to take with me on the coach and plug in to the outside entertainment center outlet. That way, I could add air anywhere, anytime I needed to. I have not carried it with me thus far but I have thought about is several times (usually while driving down the road and never when I am at home or planning a trip).

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
Georunner

I agree with Texas TC on the tire pressure. I contatcted Hankook and they sent me a table for tire pressure based on the axle weight. I then weighed my rig fully loaded, and like Texas TC, added a bit for my own state of mind. Running with too much pressure makes the coach ride real rough, and too little increases the chance of a blow out. I inflate mine to 100 lbs, and check monthly. So far, I have only had to add air one time.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Texas TC

Since I added the Hawkshead Tire Pressure Monitoring System to my SuperNova, I have reduced the air pressure in the front and rear to 95#. I have found that as the tires heat up, the pressure raises to over 100# while driving so I felt lowering the pressure and staying within the specified range for our tires at coach weight would be ok. During the summer months (I have not driven the Nova at summer temps. yet since adding the TPMS), I may even need to reduce the pressure to 90# (still within allowable specifications) due to the extra heat raising the tire pressure even more.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Porscheguy

TC, how have the tire sensors worked? Do you use with with a Toad as well? Do the preasures read acurately? They are expensive once you add up all the sensors and booster but worth it if you eliminate even one blown bearing in the middle of the desert.
Porscheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
Texas TC

I do not have the system that includes the toad. The system has worked out well for me. You can do a manual check at any time but it only alerts you if you have a tire that is out of the range you preset.

I was with some friends today that bought their systems from Camping World and they took them back because of poor reliability. I have not found that to be the case with my system.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Porscheguy

Thanks
Porscheguy is offline   Reply With Quote