Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
GO BLUE

Default Slide out coming out when parked

On a couple occasions after I put the bus away in storage...depending on how long before I go back...the big slideout on the drivers side starts to come out....it might come out about an inch at the bottom after about a week and after a month it might be out an inch at the top......does not come out when on the road..but when im on the road the most i drive is ten hours........no fluid leaks that i see...any ideas???? jim k
Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
holmesaw

Check the fluid level. This is the most common cause of this type of problem.
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
rdlamb

I echo that answer.

www.powergearus.com has the schematics for the leveling system and the Dewald Hydralic slide out system.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
GO BLUE

Just an update on my slide problem.....its been at the dealer they got a 13 page set of instructions from powergear and had to get a tool made which is going to take a couple of weeks.......I would not have seen the problem if bus sat for less than three weeks....they have made two or three adjustments but it has to set for a week to know if its fixed.....keep an eye on the bottom of your slide an see if it starts to pull away from body Jim k
Old 09-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Retird2Golf

Send a message via MSN to Retird2Golf

I had that problem with my 2004 SV, 2 slides. Living room slide was always perfect ... but bedroom would work out when sitting. Factory replaced the switch ... no better.
Finally local shop traced down to hydralic cylinder under the bed. Replaced and been fine since !

Best Regards, Clyde
Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
MLynch

Default slide problem when in storage

Well, we've been extremely busy over the past 6 weeks. We disconnected the house and chasis batteries, levelled the rig and left it there for awhile while life went on. We took the RV out of storage today, because Hurricane Ike is headed in our direction and we'd like to have the RV ready to get the heck out of dodge.

I got in the driver's seat and fired up the RV...it started right away and then I retracted the auto-levelling jacks. When I did that, water started pouring down, buckets of it, all through the interior from the top of the slide. The seal apparently was not tight up at the top and water flowed in pretty heavily. Water has soaked through from the top of the slide interior through to the padded ceiling above the sofa and dinette table. When I touched the light switch over the table, water came out of it. At the seams where the slide meets the wall, there are mushrooms growing, there is mold on the carpet as well and window treatments are thoroughly soaked.

I checked the top of the slide from the inside and there are streaks in two areas where it appears that the rain leaked in through the seals.

I inspected the slide from the outside and the slide toward the bottom seems out about an inch and a half from being flush. I have not gotten on a ladder yet to see how things look at the top of the seal from the exterior.

Anyhow, this is a new rig. We took the kids on a big summer trip (over 8k miles) without any mechanical problems but tons of little interior issues....what a deflating experience though tonight.

I got on the e-mail this evening and let the folks at Gulfstream know of this major issues and all of the minor issues. Let's see where things to.

I'm guessing that a good 8' to 10' stretch of the slide needs to be completely stripped down and re-done. To top things off, the metal that I can see on the interior of the slide is showing rust.

Am I the only one lucky enough to have this issue?

Thanks,
Mike
MLynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
Retird2Golf

WOW!! That is really a "Bummer". If your slide is not sealing properly
at the top that is most likely the cause. Are you still in warrantee??

There are several good dealers in Florida. LongView east of Tampa on I-4 is one.

I sure hope all gets fixed for you. Good Luck ....

and Best Regards, Clyde
Old 09-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
MLynch

I just checked the paperwork last evening. It looks like we bought the unit on 9/15/07. I believe that all is covered for the first year, if I recall correctly.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
Retird2Golf

Great news, but, be sure to file the claim before it expires !!

a phone call to GS and a follow up letter or E-mail would be in order.

Best Regards, Clyde
Old 09-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
MLynch

Absolutely. I put an e-mail in to Pauline Tibbs (S.E Regional customer service person at Gulf Stream). I'll give her a call on Monday as well. I'm hoping that we can build a punch list of all the outstanding items and maybe drop the rv off at Longview, for an extended period of time, to get everything fixed. I've seen several good recommendations regarding that service center and it looks to be just on the other side of alligator alley; a nice weekend trip.

My main concern is the underlying integrity of the non-exposed metal parts that might have taken on some water that just stayed there. I don't want a rust bucket inside that looks good on the surface. I've used stuff like POR-15 (www.por15.com) on such surfaces before to make the surface impermeable to rust.....but shops typically don't do the job the way that we would if we had the time and specialized expertise to do it ourselves.

I guess I'll press as hard as I can come Monday, and we'll take things in stride as the repairs get done (and get done under the warranty).

Best regards,
Mike
Old 09-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
Retird2Golf

Mike, you've got the right idea ..... I have replaced every screw that I can see or find with Stainless Steel Screws, a little dab of clear silicone and the end of rusting and streaks. But then I've got the time to "play with my toy"

Don't let them wait you out ... be like a "Bull Dog in a meat truck".

Best Regards, Clyde
Old 09-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
rdlamb

Mike:
Written letters, immediately, to your Dealer and GS, send them return receipt, delineate the problems and that you demand they be fixed.
Immediately, your warranty is about to expire.
You have to have something in writing to preserve your rights, and prove you took action.

Yes, have had many seals in our TM come loose. Had the Dealer go through and fix all of them. Seems GS used poor glue to put them on.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
MLynch

Rick:

Good advice. Will do.

Best regards,
Mike
Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
MLynch

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=mlynch ... LD=4636005

Here are some pictures of the water damage (and one photo of a broken chair, thrown in for good measure). Gulfstream has my problem logged in the system and is helping me to get things squared away with the repairs, under warranty.

You can copy the link above in to your browswer to see the photo album.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:41 AM   #15
GO BLUE

ML it looks like your bus and mine were made right in a row on the same day..................I already found all the screws coming out on slide out cover fixed them but my slideout looks like yours after about 4 days give it two weeks and it will be out about 4 inches on the bottom..gave it to north trail rv and powergear sent a list of fixes it appears to be an internal loss of fluid pressure...nothing we can see...they put a guage on each item (slides,jacks,etc ) to see where the leak is but it is very slowwwww.........jim k