Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Walldo

Default International Stereo

Has anybody changed their in-dash stereo, if you have what did you install? Not really impressed with the factory stereo. Thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
galena

Default Same Question

I have the same question. I replaced the speakers with Infinity models, and it is a big help but I also think the radio is an issue. I would like to use one that can accept multiple CDs and the controls are easier to use.
galena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Jim&Karin

Default Radio

The International radio is easy to remove. First remove the outer frame by using a flat screw driver around the outside of the frame (my frame is fake woodgrain). Then the radio is removed by inserting a small screw driver into each of the four small (1'8" diameter). The screw driver will move away the radios locking mechanism and you have to oull the radio out (drill bits will work instead of a small screw driver. I typically insert two screw drivers on left side and slide out left side of the radio first about 1/4" and then do right side approix 1/4". Then you can slide out the radio.

I just installed a double DIN (double-sized) Pioneer Model AVHP4000 DVD touch Screen radio in my International. Two problems while installing: 1) I had to cut a thin 1/2" wide steel bracket to install. The problem is because of the 1/2" bracket, the double size radio cut out is 1/2" too tall for the radio. Because of this cutout height problem, I suggest that you purchase a standard height radio (I already owned this double-sized radio). I used a black plastic piece to fill in the oversized opening.

I replaced the front speakers with Kicker Model KS-350 3 1/2" diameter speakers and installed two Insignia 3 way indoor/outdoor speakers behind the seats (facing upward). These two speakers come with brackets which I screwed into the rear of the steel seat base frame.

Because I could not get an adpater for the electrical connector for the International radio's plug, I had to cut the wires to the old radio connector plug and splice them to the new radio connector wires. The new radio connector plug and wiring are color coded, but International uses almost all green wires with a code number on the wires. The plug has two halves. The half of the connector with a blue, white and three green wires is the power side of the connector. The opposite side of the connector has eight green wires which are for the four speakers (two fron and two in my bedroom ceiling). Because I was adding two new speakers, one behind the pilot and one behind the co-pilot seat, I only needed to find the speaker leads for the front two speakers. Sorry, I did not write down the specific wire positons as I marked each wire with a label. If you run into trouble, I could remove the radio.