Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
David Bott

Default PressurePro Tire Monitoring System WARNING!!!!

Ok, so I own a complete PressurePro Tire Monitor system with 10 sensors and even the repeater. The issue and the warning comes in two parts...

1) DO NOT put these on a tow car that has a tire pressure monitoring system as part of the car OR if the value stems are aluminum. The issue is that the PressurePro tire monitors have a brass fitting and when you put it on an aluminum value stem, it will over time weld together! Also sometimes the internal pressure system for the car no longer works and reports as bad sensors in the car when they are not.

I went to check my tire pressure and found this out when I found I could not get the front two sensors off as they would not move. It made more of an issue when the black plastic outside casing broke away from the internal brass fitting and just spun. In order to get it off, I added WD40 and let it set to maybe help it break loose. I then went and purchased a pair of 90 degree bent needle nose pliers so I could get a hold of the brass fitting and then turn. I was able to get it off.

The 2nd part of this warning is about the TMS company I purchased them from and thus had called about the issue. They are the US distributor for the system. I was shocked and amazed to have been told by the president of the company that this warning was given within the install documents and that I could purchase new monitors to replace the bad ones. He further went on to say I may have to CUT OFF and replace my cars valve stems and/or remove the cars pressure monitoring system. Ouch!

So I looked at the docs again, sure, it is in the docs. However when I was talking to him he said they knew of the issue and now included a separate piece of paper about not to install them without adding No-Seize to the threads first. (Thus they knew people were missing it in the manual.) I reminded him that these sensors were added and purchased after the original unit and thus just came by themselves. Nothing else. No warnings, nothing. I added them on the tow car and added them to the programming of the main unit. (Never looked at the manual as I had done it with the coach.)

OK, fine, the warning was in the manual, not well as pointed out and these were added after the fact. I will accept that. However to tell me I needed to buy new ones? Come on, he could have offered to help me out right? Sure he could and I told him so. So he then offered me used ones at $35 each and then new ones at $40 each saving me a whole $20 total. You know, thanks for nothing, but they should have stood behind the issue and just replaced the units at cost. Even more so as they admitted to the issue and that they needed to start to include a separate piece of paper.

I guess I am lucky I got them off without hurting the car and costing me $$$ to fix an issue caused by their OEM product. If they know their is an issue...dang, replace the brass fitting with aluminum ones. After all, this will be more of an issue seeing that I do think pressure monitors are to become a requirement on new cars.

All in all I will spend the money for a complete differnt system before I go with a company that does not do the right thing. As mentioned, he could of offered to sell me units at cost and I would have given the #1 warning above to maybe help others and then said what a great company TMS was by standing behind the issue. But nope...a differnt post that I felt needed to be said. Totally frustrating to say the least. For those that know me from my posts here, knows it takes a lot for me to make such a post.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
holmesaw

Sometimes it does not pay to be on the cutting edge of new technology. My old tire guage has served me well so far and will continue to do so for some time.
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesaw
Sometimes it does not pay to be on the cutting edge of new technology. My old tire guage has served me well so far and will continue to do so for some time.
+1
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
David Bott

Hi...Yes, that is true and I also use a tire gauge.

Just in case you may not be aware, this system is NOT for setting tire pressure. It is a warning system for air leaks, low pressure, or blowouts. The coaches RV tires aside, pulling a tow car that blows a rear tire you may not know it right away and pull it like that. Most A class rigs you can hardly tell you are towing to begin with.

So it is a safety item for I would want to know if even my coach tires are for some reason dropping in pressure while traveling.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 10-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
holmesaw

I know David. I was just poking a little fun. Off the subject a little here, but when you are following rt66, do not attempt from kingman AZ to Oatman AZ. That would be very dangerous. We are in Bullhead City AZ and I have driven it several times in the car and trust me, you don't want to attempt with the motorhome.
Good Sam
Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
David Bott

Ah! Sorry I missed that.

THANK YOU....for letting me know about stretch between Kingman AZ to Oatman AZ. Yes, this will be differnt for us. We are hitting the road with no plan other than to be in Calf for and FMCA rally Jan 7-11. Other than that...we are just winging it all.

I have added your info to our trip notes.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 10-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
tucson_sailors

Default Windy Northern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesaw
I know David. I was just poking a little fun. Off the subject a little here, but when you are following rt66, do not attempt from kingman AZ to Oatman AZ. That would be very dangerous. We are in Bullhead City AZ and I have driven it several times in the car and trust me, you don't want to attempt with the motorhome.
Yeah, having driven I-40 in the last month, I would also advise caution around Holbrook for very *windy* conditions! Rt66 is fun, and its worth it to get the "Standing on a corner" t-shirt in Winslow.

Glenn from Tucson
91 34' Sun Voyager
tucson_sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
holmesaw

I just came thru there a on I40 a couple of weeks ago and wind not a problem then. Good advice if you want to drive on rt66 might be to park the coach and drive those pieces of rt66 in the car.
Good Sam
Old 10-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
GO BLUE

I keep my pressure pros on my 4rnr year round and move them to my Scion periodically......the 4rnr has BBS wheels with metal stems and the Scion has ASA alloys with metal stems......I actually use a little bit of silicone when I put them on to prevent leaks.....maybe thats why they come off without a problem......jim k
Old 10-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Jim A

Default tire press

I have a full set of pressure pro and for 2 years they have worked ok. I now have a new jeep and don't know if I should use them or not. I only use them on the tow car when I am towing and take them off when I am not towing. I hope they will work out ok
Old 10-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
David Bott

Hi Jim...

Does your new Jeep have a tire monitoring system in it? Are the value stems aluminum? This is where you could run into an issue.

HOWEVER...if you just go to a local auto store, get a little tube of No-Seize or Anti-Seize and put that on the threads, I am told all will be well. I for one will twist them some at least once a month to be sure.

Also note that when you have them installed, if your Jeep has a monitor system in it, just be sure it is still working without issue and you are not getting anything like a bad sensor report or something. I was told this also could happen. It did not/does not happen with my 2008 Outlook. I just had the issue of it starting to weld together.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad