Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Problems with Sony Surround sound receiver in 2004 sun voyag

Well it looks like the receiver is fried in my 2004 Sun voyager, it is a Sony surround sound with DVD & Am Fm radio. I took it in for repairs but haven't heard if it can be fixed yet. Has anyone replaced this receiver with another and if so what type did you purchase to match up with all of the ceiling speakers. What it was doing was saying protect and then shutting off. After reading the manual it sayid could be shorted speaker but I removed the speaker wires and still did not work.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
03heritagerider

Mine crapped out about a year ago. It ate the DVD's (six disc unit) and wouldn't give them back. I had to actually dis-assemble the unit to get them out.

I've just been using a DVD player that is not surround sound equipped and utilizing the TV speakers. I haven't made a decision about a surround sound replacement yet. I'll be watching this post for suggestions.

Currently, we use the dash-mounted automotive AM-FM radio/CD player for music and news. There is an on/off switch on my dash (indicated by a musical note symbol) that turns this radio on without turning the key on. It can be set to play in the front of the coach, back in the bedroom, or both.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
darbyjudy

Default Found a used Sony receiver

I located a Sony Receiver on e-bay and bought it for $57.00. I received it in good condition and installed it in my motor home yesterday. Everything works great. Only difference is the cd player only holds one cd instead of several. Speaker wires plugs were the same and I am good to go.
Another problem I had was the motor cover seemed very weak and I was hearing a cracking sound when I stepped on it. I bought a piece of plywood and cut it to fit and installed on top of the motor cover. Seems a lot stronger now and I then covered it with a piece of carpet.
Washed it up today and now when I get the brake calipers replaced I beleive all will be done.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
03heritagerider

Default Re: Found a used Sony receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy
I located a Sony Receiver on e-bay and bought it for $57.00. I received it in good condition and installed it in my motor home yesterday.
Thanks to your e-bay experience, I went in and bid on a used Sony 5 disc Surround Sound unit. The model number was the same as the one originally installed in the motorhome. I got it for $52.00. (+ $12.00 shipping).

I'll install as soon as it arrives and let you know.

That's what I really like about this forum. You can always learn something when people are willing to share their experiences.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
darbyjudy

Default Great news.

That is great news, yes I love this forum also. Now I am in the market for a surge protector. I really think that I got a surge from a nearby lighting strike while I was camping in the Ga mountains. I also think it got my Digital display for my Sat antenna also. so I am on the lookout for one of those.
On the Surge protector I am still not sure what to buy. I am thinking of a type that goes on the pole instead of a built in one, that way if I trade I can take it with me.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
03heritagerider

Default Re: Great news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy
On the Surge protector I am still not sure what to buy. I am thinking of a type that goes on the pole instead of a built in one, that way if I trade I can take it with me.
That sounds like the smart way to do it.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

I feel the best in surge protection and power protection is provided by Progressive Industries.
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt50c.htm

I purchased the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50 portable unit in 2003 and have used it since then. It took a direct surge from lightning when we were at a CG in Tenn and it saved our coach from any damage. Most RV's around us had most of their electronics fried along with refrigerator electronics.
I called Progressive Ind. because it had an error code after that and they had me sent it to them.
They replaced the entire unit free of charge.

I also like the way it checks to make sure the wiring and power requirements are correct before it switches on the power to the coach. It also monitors the voltage to make sure it is not to high or too low.

It is a little pricy but it is a lot more than a surge protector. I installed a plug in the cord inside the compartment so that I keep the unit inline inside the compartment just for it's security and my piece of mine.

I never plug in anywhere without it.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
darbyjudy

I ordered the Progressive surge protector today from Tweetys, they had the best price. I decided on the portable unit, that way if I change motor homes I can take it with me.
Take the motor home in on the 29 for the brake recall and then it will be all set to travel. I sure will feel a lot better when that recall is did, I have had brake problems three times and lost several dayes each time.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
03heritagerider

Well, there was a delay in shipping the Sony DVD/CD/Tuner/Surround Sound unit, but it did arrive two weeks ago. Seller credited the shipping due to the delay.

It arrived without the snap-in connectors for the speakers, so I had to call Sony for the parts ($7.00). Connectors arrived Monday.

Got it installed today and it all works just like the original.

Thanks darbyjudy for guiding me to e-bay for the replacement.