Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
SlimTim

Default Supernova Bulletproof Diesel Oil Cooler

I am getting ready to install a Bulletproof Diesel Oil Cooler and Bulletproof EGR Cooler on my Supernova 6400. As these cooler kits are for the 6.0 Ford trucks I thought I would let people know how easy or difficult they are to install on the International 4200.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
jayme

Default Re: Supernova Bulletproof Diesel Oil Cooler

I hope your install went well. I too have thought about doing the same mods. Any problems?
jayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
SlimTim

Jayme - I removed the stock oil cooler and filter housing and then installed the new BPD manifold and EGR manifold Saturday. I also installed the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) Connector Fitting Upgrade Kit while I was working in the area. Sunday I fabricated brackets to hold the BPD oil cooler in-place. I decided to locate the cooler in front of the AC Condenser near the bottom of the grill opening. I will try and take some photos if anybody is interested. I fabricated the cooler brackets out of 1/8" x 1" x 3' bar stock purchased at my local hardware store. I was able to bend everything using my shop vice and a hammer so no special tools were used. The Top bracket uses the top AC Condenser mounting bolts as a fastening point and the bottom bracket - well that's harder to explain. There is a bolted on bracket on both the left on right side of the radiator and the only purpose of the bracket is to hold the wiring going to the headlights. Each bracket is attached with two bolts and this allows you to use it as a clamp to hold the bottom oil cooler bracket. I have a slight interference between the grill and the cooler, but I think I can fix this - if not I will just take a dermal tool to the back side of the grill in a couple of places. I also purchased the BPD remote oil filter and I plan on mounting this directly above the engine coolant filter. This will allow easy access to both the coolant filter and the engine oil filter. I hope to install the BPD oil filter and all the plumbing by the end of this coming weekend.

To sum it up, if you are mechanically inclined and have some imagination you should have no problem tackling this job yourself.

Just as an FYI, when I had the turbo off of the engine I pulled the turbo inlet Y-pipe off and welded on a port for an exhaust gas temp probe. This was very quick and easy to do and I am looking forward to having visibility to my exhaust gas temperatures.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
jayme

My initial reaction to your project was "wow" Very well done. Don't think I would personally tackle it.....too old and decrepit, but I commend you on your mods. I'm sure the performance and reliability will do nothing but improve. Thank You for explaining.....John
jayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
SlimTim

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BPD Oil Cooler Small.jpg (85.0 KB, 1289 views)
Old 10-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
SlimTim

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BPD Oil Filter Block Off Small.jpg (78.1 KB, 1286 views)
Old 10-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
SlimTim

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BPD Oil Filter Small.jpg (69.9 KB, 1282 views)
Old 10-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #8
SlimTim

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EGT and Oil Temp Gauge Small.jpg (49.1 KB, 1282 views)
Old 10-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
SlimTim

The large white zip-ties going around the BPD oil cooler were used as a spacer. I needed something to hold the cooler away from the AC condenser when I was mocking up the mounting bracket and I needed something that was not going to damage the AC condenser. I ended up just leaving them on after the installation was completed just incase the oil cooler moved. I would rather have a plastic zip-tie rubbing against the AC condenser than the aluminum oil cooler rubbing against the AC condenser - I just wish I would have used black zip-ties rather than white. I have been on several long trips and the cooler has not moved but they are not hearting anything so I will leave them on for now.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
Gemini John

So we did the Bulletproof oil cooler kit this spring while we hid under our rocks during the Dempanic. Decided to work with a Ford Diesel tech who was laid off and pull the heads, do the ARP studs and the stainless steel head gaskets. Local machine shop did the heads, re-assembled the engine and installed the oil cooler kit. Bullet proof didn't tell me it NOT for an AC vehicle, DUH!!! Luckily I had -12 AN hardware from a dry sump drag car and used the extra hoses and fittings to complete the job. Had to space the grill out to clear the oil cooler. But with all the heat this year it is a win win. 95 degree day, 10 hour tow to Martin Mich, Coolant temp 185 to 200, better power, fan clutch doesn't wail all the time and use economy to reduce downshifting. MP 8 controller and good to go. Now, time to remove the stock muffler. It's got the whoosh of a rusty internal and I'm sure there's power to be had without noise. next project. Cheers. John
Old 09-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #11
JohnnyAfrica

Get that "Muffler" removed to complete the upgrade...Turbo spools up faster & I swear my tail pipe runs cleaner now...
Old 09-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #12
LTC_R

Johnny, did you swap out the muffler? If so, what did you put in? I also did the BPD upgrades and even swapped out the motor with an Asheville performance .30 upgrade. That's all in another post, but haven't thought much about the muffler until today.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
LTC_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #13
JohnnyAfrica

https://www.gsowners.com/forums/show...6299#post26299