Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-07-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
bjcarlin71

Default Driver Side Wires To Cabinet Below

2008 Tourmaster 40F
Full driver slide/bedroom slide
Pop-up TV behind passenger
Electronics + storage under driver

I need to run 4 sets of 14 gauge (big) speaker wires plus 2-channel pre-amps (2 RCA plugs) into that basement cabinet under the driver area. About a 3/4" round hole would work. Under the hollow left footrest would be ideal. Unfortunately, it's all steel under the rug there. In addition to fuses, relays, and AC equipment, that cabinet has a ground stud and a power stud, and plenty of space to install a 1000watt amplifier. I've already installed four new speakers and wired everything. The wires terminate now in that hollow footrest, waiting for a hole to that cabinet.

In front of the footrest, a million wires exit the cabin to the front of the basement compartment. All such holes for wiring are sealed with solid foam.

Questions:
Has anyone succeeded in running wiring from the driver area below to that cabinet? If so, how?

Has anyone scraped away that foam and found space for more wires?

Does anyone know if the floor within the console can be drilled through? I could conceive of running wires under the frame.

Anyone run wiring from the TV cabinet behind the passenger down to the front basement? Getting a bit far now but...

Anyone have any other ideas? I have 15 feet of 4awg power cable. Could re-route speaker.

Pictures:
1. Under steering by wall. My wires are loose in foreground.
2. Ceiling of lower cabinet
3. Power Studs in cabinet

That front left basement cabinet with its power studs is ideal and speaker wires are ready to go there.
bjcarlin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
bjcarlin71

Default Resolution

I found the perfect place to make a hole, right next to the lump of styrofoam in the second picture. In the center, very top of that photo is a flat surface that I thought was steel. It is a very thin sheet of wood. Above it is rug. I used a half inch bit and swirled it around to make enough room for all the wiring. The hole in the cab is very close to the Styrofoam lump and the wiring forward. It couldn't be a more suitable location.

Now to plugging it all in and hoping I don't blow the speakers. I got them at Goodwill on a Saturday 50% sale for $2.50 each. They are the front and rear set from a home entertainment system.

So, if you need to send any wiring from your console to that first driver side basement compartment, look next to that massive factory wiring to all the relays and fuses.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:02 AM   #3
Restorium

Nice work!

So the speakers are for outdoor listening?
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
bjcarlin71

No. We've had the coach for almost 5 years and since day 1 I was disappointed with the driving sound. But, having tinkered with car stereos since the 8-track days, it was a given that I'd upgrade somehow. At first I installed a computer sound system with the subwoofer/bass box in the cabinet above the driver seat, and left rights in the front corners. That system used 110ac power so I plugged it into an old inverter which in turn went to a 12volt plug in the center electronics cabinet. On hindsight, the 110ac runs into a 12v adapter so all I needed was the right adapter tip for the bass/power box. Also, the inverter's fan was noisy so I stopped using the sub.

Now, I bought a 4-channel amp and those 4 new speakers. The front speakers are in the upper corners again and the rears, a bit smaller, are attached to the bottom of the outside walls of the back cabinets in the cab. I used a Y-splitter to split the pre-amp outs to 4 channels and I split another set to run to that powered box subwoofer which is sitting on the floor to the left rear of the driver seat.

Next step is to find an adapter to let me run ignition power from the amp to the subwoofer. There are many ways to skin a cat. (What an awful expression. Who came up with that?) All the wires are now in the lower cabinet. Hoping to try it out today. Pink Floyd should be played with some oomph!
Old 01-10-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
Restorium

Sounds awesome. Funny how some old songs remind me of working on my stereo, in a good way. Just give me that old time rock and roll …..
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote