Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
thphelps

Default Waxing the Visa RGU

I purchased a used 2011 Gulfstream Visa RGU. The sides and back wax up nice but the front is dull. Previous owner said he waxed it before each trip, but I wonder. How can I bring back the shine of the gel coat on the fiberglass?
thphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Mikado

Default Re: Waxing the Visa RGU

Just subscribe to send you an answer, as I have deal with the same situation just last year. The top portion of the front was dull.

What you need is an oxydation remover, a polisher or a good arm. Many company, like 3M makes something to remove oxydation.

The key to get a good job done is think marine product. I own myself a 19RSD, and done my homework. I have done the job with Meguiars oxydation remover and then wax with Flagship Premium Marine Wax.

The second thing, try to keep it in the carnauba wax based product. Many people use synthetic wax, teflon or silicon based wax.

Carnauba seal the top layer of fiberglass, while other based penetrate the fiberglass, which is not exactly a good thing.

You might have to remove oxydation once, and wax twice a year, but if it well done, it's worthed.

Good luck reaching the top portion of the front, I had trouble getting from the ground and from roof...
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
thphelps

Thanks for your response. I will find the oxidation remover and possibly a buffer and give it a good waxing on top of that.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
thphelps

I did get an oxidation remover and with one application it looks much better. I plan to do it one more time then applya good fiberglass wax before we go out again.

Thanks again.

Ted
Old 04-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
Mikado

Good to know.. I always try to do it twice a year, and so far so good, she still look brand new, even better than when we took delivery...
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
psgoodale

I usually wash with mild detergent, then clay wash to get it smooth, then use meguiars ultra finishing compound to remove oxidation, and liquid carnauba wax. Careful using the ultra finishing compound and wax near any rubber or plastic. It will leave a residue that is not as easy to clean. Use tape if needed. Also, do not wax more than twice a year. Too many waxes will crack your finish. I do it spring and fall.
psgoodale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:49 AM   #7
Henry111

Very proud of how easy it absolutely was to wash with a car wash mitt, sprayed on and therefore the shine came back immediately. Decal colors also returned. the following day there was a tiny low amount of wax chipping on the black decals, but this was easily wiped off with a microfiber but 1/4 bottle of TR wax was used, 29ft RV.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote