Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
djqualls

Default Generator Fuel Supply

I've read in places that the Genset has access to the main fuel tank down to 25% of the tank. I'm not sure if that's the case for my coach but I am interested in maximiing my fuel supply for the genset for a couple of reasons.

First I plan to go to Talledegah this year as this is what "Flung the Cravin" on me for a MH because of last years trip.

Second if I want to run the genset during the winter and to cycle out the fuel as well, I would like to be able to move fuel without having to take the coach out and just drive out the fuel. (Just an Option)

With a 100 gal. tank on the MH, I would think that 85-90% access for Genset would still leave ample reserve to take the MH out to fuel or to even get out of the racetrack to a fuel center. (i.e. 10 gallons left at 7mpg would get me down the road to a fuel station even with some idle time waiting for traffic.

Would you do it in my circumstance? If so how hard is it to do in my case?

Not that I'm going to do it this weekend since the MH has been in Elkhart since August and still not ready..............
Old 10-28-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

WOW, I would think that would be quite an undertaking since it the 25% or 1/4 tank of fuel is actually where the fuel pickup level is at in the fuel tank for the generator.

Never heard of anyone doing that or even wanting to so don't have any advice. But I would imagine one would have to drop/remove the fuel tank to gain access to the pickup input at the top of the tank.

In our area they recommend to keep the fuel tank full to keep condensation down in the tank from temperature extremes in the winter.

I know our generator uses appox. 1/2 gal. of fuel an hour so it would take many hours of running time to empty a tank of fuel. Also running a generator on a very light load is hard on them so I would not consider it an option to run it without putting a load such as a air conditioner or more on it.

Maybe someone has done it and will reply.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:32 AM   #3
djqualls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
WOW, I would think that would be quite an undertaking since it the 25% or 1/4 tank of fuel is actually where the fuel pickup level is at in the fuel tank for the generator.
In our area they recommend to keep the fuel tank full to keep condensation down in the tank from temperature extremes in the winter.
My thoughts that if you are in the infield at the racetrack from Thursday afternoon until Monday morning, you will definitely use all of your useable fuel and run the genset with a load in the process. My friends ran their coach gens along with a couple of other gens and used around 100 gals of fuel not counting what was onboard the coach. We set up a small community there with about 20+ guys and a cookshack and such.

I agree with the condensation issue. It probably wouldn't make a lot of sense to have the ability to pull it down that far before refilling for storage purposes.....
Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 AM   #4
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul

I have heard/read about others extending their lines in the fuel tank to a lower position for whatever reason. I believe if you log onto rv.net and use the search function you should be able to find some threads about doing just that. I personally wouldn't do it but my needs are different from yours. I would consider carrying extra diesel/gas in 5 gal fuel cans. If you dump them in you can get a ride or take a toad out to get more. Its just a thought. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Happy Camping.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,

I have been thinking, yep I know that is dangerous, using your description of time of using the generator.
If one started with a full tank of fuel (100 gals. in your case) and I did some figuring.

Arriving at 4pm Thursday and staying until 8am Monday would be 88 hours of running time on the generator.

Most generators use .5 gal of fuel per hour with a light load. That would be 44 gals of fuel used.

If the load was heavier, the most I have used per hour running our generators in the last two motorhomes using both air conditioners, we used 3/4 gal (.75gph) according to my figures.
So using the heavy load figure of .75gph one would use 66 gallons of fuel.

In both cases you would have enough fuel for the term of your stay since at the 1/4 level of the tank you have 75 gallons of fuel available to run the generator if you started with a full tank.

Of course the other option would be to install a 150 gallon fuel tank like I have in my chassis, it gives me 112.5 gallons available at the 1/4 level.
The DW says it is like taking out a loan when we fill it.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote