Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
matchbox20girl

Default Hard bed slide looks droopy?

We are in the process of buying an '05 Ameri-Lite. I'm not sure what the model # is, but it is 24' and has the queen hard slide at the back, and 3 bunks in the front. The dealer had just got it in on the day that we first saw it, so it needed a good cleaning and going-over. We went back and looked at it, and they'd replaced/fixed the missing awning lock, the broken bathroom doorknob, and given it a good going-over as far as checking the systems. The hard slide out at the back (queen bed) was bothering me...it looked like it was drooping a little bit, and the top was out farther than the bottom.

Someone suggested to me that it wasn't out all the way, and when it went out all the way, that would level it out as the cables tightened. So I went back today (we're still waiting on a part) and gave it a closer look--the top is definitely out farther than the bottom. The slide is electric but has a manual override underneath...when I looked, it seemed like the cables at the top were tight, but the bottom cables were floppy and drooping. I talked it over with the dealer and he was going to take out the sofa, etc and check into it.

He said when he got into it, it looked like the cables needed adjusted, and he adjusted them. I guess I'll go back and see if I think the issue was resolved or not. There's a step in front of the bed, and it just seemed like the slide out was sticking out too far over it. Maybe it was out all the way, but why would the cables be loose and the top be out farther than the bottom if it was? It definitely wouldn't go farther though, so I'll be curious to see what it's like now with the cable adjustment.

Has anyone had any problems with these? To be honest, it's kind of scaring me. I hate to let it scare me away--I realize the trailer is 4 years old, but I hate to be facing a big issue right off the bat.

matchbox20girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
mswinson

Default Re: Hard bed slide looks droopy?

Matchbox,

I've just recently purchased a 2006 Amerilite 24RH that has the same configuration as yours. My bed looks as if it slopes downward slightly, but I don't think that the top or bottom is out any further than the other. It appears to seal completely all around and when it is fully extended the little carpeted 'shelf' running along the back wall is revealed completely. I figured the slight slope I'm seeing is so that water will drain off when it rains rather than running back toward the coach.
Also, our mattress is on a plywood board that is mounted to some slides so that once the room is extended, you can pull the mattress inward, over the end of the couch, so that the head of the mattress can be unfolded to full length. Many pictures I've seen of this coach show the matress sideways, but I'm only 5'10" and I can't lay sideways up there. So that's the reason that the mattress folds and the board slides.

I realize that this post is a couple of years old, but if you had any issues/resolutions with that slide, I'd love to know about them.