Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
jtking

Default Intermittent Check engine light issue

I have a 2008 Tourmaster w/ISL 425 Cummins. Had first check engine light issue about 5 years ago. Light came on while at highway speed with no noticeable performance issue and all gauges looked normal. Called Local Freightliner Dealer when I arrived home. Told to bring in and they would check for codes. Water in fuel code was present, there was no water in fuel and new fuel filter and separator. Service Tech told me to drive it and it would not leave me stranded on the road (said there can be issues with sensor in separator. I drove it with light on for two years. Then as part of routine maintenance (spring 2012) replaced fuel filter and separator and the light went out! A couple of times after that over the next couple years light would intermittently cone on with no performance problem. I would crawl under coach and unplug and replug the connector to the fuel separator 3 or 4 times light would stay out for several months then same issue/procedure. Then in August of 2015 while returning home in Michigan check engine light came on at freeway speed with a jerk and loss of power. I cleared it with the dash toggle 2 or 3 times and it stayed out, power resumed. When I slowed to exit freeway about 45 miles later to go to house same issue, light on, jerk, power loss. Reset with dash toggle numerous times in the 3 miles to house. Did the plug and replug thing several times in the driveway. Started and put in garage. In mid October drove to Bridgeway Cummins in Grand Rapids (70 miles) for several routine maintenance items no light issues. While there had them check for codes, none present. Part of maintenance change fuel filter and separator.

Left for Florida late December, ran like a champ until south edge of Macon GA. The check engine light came on with a jerk and immediate loss of power, could not clear with toggle. Pulled to shoulder in not to good of a spot. Once stopped light went out and idled fine. I left it running and got out and did the unplug and plug in thing. Got back in and attempted to proceed, but same issue in less than a mile. Stopped again and shut down this time. Drained a little fuel from separator--no water. Did plug/ unplug thing again. Got back in fired up and ran the rest of trip to Florida, including one overnight and two fuel stops without an issue. Was not a major concern with just light coming on, but now with instant power loss and I assume probable shut down it is a MAJOR concern. Could have happened in downtown Atlanta with no where to pull over and wife driving!! By the way the dash alarm only says "Check Engine" not "Water in Fuel". I have always assumed it had something to do with the connector to the separator!

Has anyone had similar issues or know of someone who has? Any thoughts or suggestions? Any and all thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John......
Old 01-25-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
GulfStream1

Default Re: Intermittent Check engine light issue

John: All diesels after 2007 must comply with NOX & hydro carbon HC by 50%. DPF is used on all wcc class A diesel motor homes for the collection of soot and sulfate particulates eventually plugging up the filter (DPF).

The engine will start to sputter when it gets plugged up and eventually stop. Your CHECK ENGINE LIGHT will come on.
Usually emission controls will set this light on.

Might want to check that out before it does some damage.
GulfStream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
jtking

Thanks for the response. That was on my list of maintenance items in October when I took it to Bridgeway Cummins in Grand Rapids. They told me it was fine and did not need cleaning. I plan on putting a list of questions together and calling FCCC.

John..
Old 03-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
jtking

UPDATE:
Made an appointment with Charlotte RV Service Center here in FL couple weeks ago to get codes checked. Hopefully diagnose check engine light issue before heading home next month. Started coach a couple days before appt., belt broke-alternator froze up. Alternator (200 amp) had to be ordered. Yesterday new alternator and belt installed here at RV Resort. This morning drove to the service center to get codes checked. No active codes. However, several old stored codes, many of which were "Low voltage" codes.

I now believe that the alternator has not been performing properly for quite some time and was the cause of many of my check engine lights. There was significant corrosion where wires connected to the alternator. Dash gauge now shows 14+ volts. I don't believe it ever registered this high. Interestingly, I never had a "Low Voltage" light, just "Check Engine". Hope this update may help one of you sometime.

John
Old 05-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
richardscatzhouse

These guys can help around $100 at most places. http://www.scangauge.com/
Buy used Buy Trouble!!
richardscatzhouse is offline   Reply With Quote