Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-20-2022, 07:32 AM   #1
Tank

Default chalky surface

I have a 2005 BT Cruiser and the exterior is chalking badly from years of neglect. Any recommendations to bring back the shine and stop the chalking?
Steve
Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #2
CDN

You should use a 'cleaner' wax. Need to polish off the oxidized layer.

I've used Collinite 870 with great results on our Visa trailer.

https://www.collinite.com/product/no-870-fleetwax/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221127-110539.jpg (77.1 KB, 3 views)
CDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
jamesham

Default There are multiple solutions to get back the shine

We faced this same problem on our GS motorhome. There are at least 3 solutions to bring back the shine, and all require elbow grease and cash.

1. There are many automotive products made for fiberglass cars (think Corvette) that are multi-step de-ox, smooth, and shine. Price is reasonable but all require a lot of elbow grease, a poly pad polisher, and lots of time.

2. Poli Glow is a fiberglass cleaner kit made for boats, but kit gives great results on fiberglass RV finish. Restores color and provides strong UV protection. Starter kit is about 100 bucks, but easy to apply and remove.

3. The third solution was formerly called Red Max Pro, now called Zep Wet Look gym floor finish. This is the product that gives a clear shine to a basketball wood floor, used in school gyms and halls. It is cheap sold in gallon plastic jugs, and gives a great shine after about 5 coats. There are many videos free online with both for and against the product, so you decide. We have used Zep for many years and like it. But it is a clear coat, so beware that you have to use a cleaner first or you will be sealing the dirt to your finish. A pressure washer and some Bar Keepers Friend cleaning powder works for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
I have a 2005 BT Cruiser and the exterior is chalking badly from years of neglect. Any recommendations to bring back the shine and stop the chalking?
Steve
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #4
Gingersdad

Hulu Boat makes great products for caulking and waxing. Lots of work though. I don't think there is an "easy" way unless you hire someone to detail it for you. Sounds like a good Christmas to give yourself
Gingersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:40 PM   #5
RayHarkness

Default Chalking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Steve
. We use 3m 303 protectant. Designed for aircraft. Amazing product I use a microfiber mop...spray 5 to 6ft areA. Just smooth it around..done. The highest UV rating u can get. Spray tires routinely..dashboards. your done. I can send you pic if our 2002 scenic cruiser. You won't believe it. Stuff is strange. Like skim milk. Easy peasy! Try an area before all that waxing and etc ..r
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #6
CDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHarkness View Post
. We use 3m 303 protectant. Designed for aircraft. Amazing product I use a microfiber mop...spray 5 to 6ft areA. Just smooth it around..done. The highest UV rating u can get. Spray tires routinely..dashboards. your done. I can send you pic if our 2002 scenic cruiser. You won't believe it. Stuff is strange. Like skim milk. Easy peasy! Try an area before all that waxing and etc ..r
I use 303 on lots of stuff. It won't rejuvenate hazed gelcoat, but it will help prevent it from getting that way again once it's been restored.
CDN is offline   Reply With Quote