Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #1
Willyt

Default Out of stat emissions test on toad

Hello RVers,
Has anyone ever dealt with the problem of not getting back home before your toad tags expire .
What do you have to do, I can renew on line but then there is the emission test, can you have that done in another state ? I live in Illinois. Anybody got any suggestions or know what to do .
Thank you !
Willyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:23 PM   #2
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyt View Post
Hello RVers,
Has anyone ever dealt with the problem of not getting back home before your toad tags expire .
What do you have to do, I can renew on line but then there is the emission test, can you have that done in another state ? I live in Illinois. Anybody got any suggestions or know what to do .
Thank you !
If it was me, I might be tempted to call the Illinois Secretary of State at 217-785-3000 and ask the experts.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:26 PM   #3
Willyt

Thanks for the # NavyLCDR !!
Old 11-28-2022, 09:16 PM   #4
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Thanks for the # NavyLCDR !!
I hope they give you a reasonable answer. I bought a truck from a dealership in Oregon. They gave me a temporary license (registration tag). It was going to expire in 7 days so I asked the Oregon DMV if I would be legal to drive the truck after the temporary tag expired because I had paid all the fees to the dealership for license and registration. Oregon came back and told me that it would be illegal for me to drive the truck on public roads after the temporary tag expired, but I could pay something like $80 to get a trip permit to drive another 30 days.

I told them to pack sand. I paid the dealer the full fees required to register and license the truck, and it was not my responsibility to pay to extend it because the state of Oregon could not issue registration and plates in the time required for them to do so according to state law, and if I got a ticket for the expired temporary tag, I would meet them in court with the defense that I paid all fees for license and registration and it was Oregon state government negligence that they did not issue registration and plates within the required timeframe.

I drove the truck on the expired temporary tag for two weeks when I finally received the plates from Oregon DMV.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:11 PM   #5
Willyt

Got to love the DMV !!
Old 11-30-2022, 07:43 PM   #6
Bike Dr

If you have the emissions done in a different state you will have to make sure you notify your state that it has passed as states will not transfer the information. That is up to you to make sure the paperwork gets filled. And as long as the tags and insurance are up to date the emissions shouldn't cause a problem until you got home to have it tested then. You really would have to piss the officer off for him to fine you for just an emissions violation if everything else is in order

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 ATRIUM 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' Weller's closed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 Mini Cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:30 PM   #7
Willyt

Thanks Bike Dr .
Old 12-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #8
Dennis4809

Before Washington did away with the emissions test, it was required to be on file before you could renew your tags. Don’t know if that’s the case in IL or not.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #9
hossross

I like the idea to call DMV and see what accommodations they will make. If not agreeable, then I'd take my chances and roll on. Technically, the toad is a trailer, not a motorized vehicle. The motor is not running so emissions should not matter.
Or sell the vehicle to a family member for $1 and find out from DMV how long they have to get the title transferred and licensed, and how can it be moved from out of state to new location on current licenses. I think there is a 2 week period in some states to complete transfer. The paper would show it is in ownership and relocation transistion. Just a business decision to find the lowest cost way, which paying a fine should also be considered. But if stopped, I'd sure plead that the vehicle is not being driven on the road, just being toad, and you'll take care of it as soon as you get home.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:41 PM   #10
Willyt

Default Emissions

Had to Contact Illinoisairteam.com…. Basicly they make it impossible to get a waiver, so making the six hour drive to southern Illinois to jump thru there hoops !!!
Thanks for all that responded !!
Old 12-06-2022, 07:37 PM   #11
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Had to Contact Illinoisairteam.com…. Basicly they make it impossible to get a waiver, so making the six hour drive to southern Illinois to jump thru there hoops !!!
Thanks for all that responded !!
And on top of that, they will probably give you a ticket in Illinois for expired registration and emissions test!
Old 12-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #12
Willyt

Default Emissions

luckily my tags were good thru Dec … made the 12 hr round trip in the rain… good to go again !!
God is good ! Willyt