Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
dangerruss

Default Crown Molding Replacement

I am looking for advice on where to get a piece of crown molding. The original piece has some water damage and the vinyl is peeling away from the wood. I have checked home depot, lowes, and United RV and have come up empty and I need some ideas on how to fix this. The current molding is 1"x 5 1/2" x 27 3/4".

Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice.

Russell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5383.jpg (105.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5384.jpg (62.7 KB, 6 views)
dangerruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
Frutza

If you find some let me know, I couldn't even find it in Elkhart, I took a piece of trim from the bedroom & spliced it in then used something else in the bedroom, pressed board didn't like water
Old 06-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
dangerruss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
If you find some let me know, I couldn't even find it in Elkhart, I took a piece of trim from the bedroom & spliced it in then used something else in the bedroom, pressed board didn't like water
I found something at Home Depot but it was an inch short and had to improvise. I should have it installed tomorrow and I post a picture.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
dangerruss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Attached are some pictures I took of the project. Because I could not find a piece of molding the correct width, I had to improvise an rip another board to place at the bottom. Color of stain is not perfect, but finished project looks ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5398.jpg (388.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5399.jpg (298.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5400.jpg (239.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5406.jpg (255.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5407.jpg (354.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
gwirth

I hated the paper wrapped pressed board crown molding in our 2004 Atrium. Almost everything in the coach is solid oak except for this molding. I was going to make my own, but then I checked a specialty hardwood lumber dealer in town and they had solid oak molding in the correct size. I change all the crown molding in the coach.
gwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
purduepete12

Check out the "Molding Outlet" in LaPorte, IN. They have a molding factory there and the have a store in town that sells "seconds" at discount prices. All type and cuts of molding in Poplar and Oak. A visit there will want to make you build something.
purduepete12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #7
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerruss View Post
I am looking for advice on where to get a piece of crown molding. The original piece has some water damage and the vinyl is peeling away from the wood. I have checked home depot, lowes, and United RV and have come up empty and I need some ideas on how to fix this. The current molding is 1"x 5 1/2" x 27 3/4".

Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice.

Russell
I have the same problem. My question is, how is the crown molding attached to the wall. I would like to remove and replace it but don't want to damage the wall in the process.

Tags
crown molding