Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
Earl Medlin

Default BT Cruiser light fixture

I have a 2004 B T Cruiser 27', the light fixture in the shower at the very top is burned out. What kind of screwdrive does that thing take?? its concave with four little notches that from a square. I tried everything in my tool kit but noting work. Anybody know? Thanks Earl
Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
tippleunduly

Could be a torx drive you need.
Bill
Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
earljan34

Earl, First of all Welcome to the Forum! Did you try a square drive? Most of the screws in mine are either Phillips or square.

By the way great name

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
Timothy

Default Re: BT Cruiser light fixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Medlin
I have a 2004 B T Cruiser 27', the light fixture in the shower at the very top is burned out. What kind of screwdrive does that thing take?? its concave with four little notches that from a square. I tried everything in my tool kit but noting work. Anybody know? Thanks Earl
It could be this or this
Either should be available at any hardware store in the size you need. The Torx bit looks more like a star and the Robertson is square.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
RJ82much

Everything in our Sun Voyager is fastened with the square Robertson bit. These bits are available in Sears, Home Depot, & most hardware stores these days. They are available as insertion bits, screwdriver, & kits of multiple sizes, though as Timothy points out, #2 seems to be the only size in use by GS.

There is one madening exception to the near universal square Robertson Drive... The dashboard! At least with the Chevy Workhorse, they use Torx, but a special "security Torx". There is a small hole drilled in the end of the bit to allow it to fit over a "nib" of metal sticking up from the center of the screw head. I believe Sears now carries a package of security Torx insertion bits.

Before my Gulf Stream, I never heard of such a configuration.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
lockdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ82much
Everything in our Sun Voyager is fastened with the square Robertson bit. These bits are available in Sears, Home Depot, & most hardware stores these days. They are available as insertion bits, screwdriver, & kits of multiple sizes, though as Timothy points out, #2 seems to be the only size in use by GS.

There is one madening exception to the near universal square Robertson Drive... The dashboard! At least with the Chevy Workhorse, they use Torx, but a special "security Torx". There is a small hole drilled in the end of the bit to allow it to fit over a "nib" of metal sticking up from the center of the screw head. I believe Sears now carries a package of security Torx insertion bits.

Before my Gulf Stream, I never heard of such a configuration.
Bob-

The security torx has been in use for a long time now. I have had a few sets of the security torx bits for removal of ignition components etc. The sets are packaged just small enough that you can't find them when you need them so I now have several of these on hand!! The screws where you would typically encounter these are well hidden and used so you don't mess something up that they want a mechanic to look after! You and I are both probably handy enough to be trusted with these tools however!
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
RJ82much

My entire dashboard is fastened with the security torx. The radio, all the connections to the switches (some of which came disconnected), even the open storage compartment are all inaccesible/not removable if you don't have that bit.

For the most part, not really important. However, already my overdrive stopped working because the individual wires came off the connector, the driving lights never worked until I found out the connector had popped off the back of the switch. Several times I had to remove the dash cover. Thankfully I was able to get GS to cough up a bit for me. At that time, I couldn't find any in our town.

Actually, I should just consider replacing every one of those with the square-head Robertson, then I could stop whining! Ha Ha Ha

Happy 4th everyone!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote