Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
RayHarkness

Default White Rogers solenoid, rear compartment

WE HAVE A 2002 Gulfstream Scenice Cruiser. In the back compartment, with diesel computers etc, there are two switches
one for cut off of power to diesel, and one switch for 110v into the coach.

There is a White Rogers 12v constant flow solenoid in the front (toward the front of that compartment) This compartment is on the passenger side, rear most compartment.
The Solenoid has been tripping and getting hot. I have replaced it with a new one, and still get the snapping as it appears to reset.
there are two large red power lines coming into it on each side..and several small wires coming in. usualy those are "exciters" for the solenoid.

Has anybody had any problems with this solenoid, and what may be causing it to trip on and off.
any thoughts? R
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
RayHarkness

Default Re: White Rogers solenoid, rear compartment

In the spirit of assistance, will answer my own question. On the older models of Gulfstream diesels, they use an INTELLITAC transfer box, that is located in the compartment, under the driver seat, where all the normal fuses are located. Its a small black box, with 4 wires into it. This serves to send charge to the HOUSE BATTERIES when driving the motorhome. They can often fail, due to heat, and need replacement at times.

I was able to finally talk with somebody from the local Gulfstream dealership in Tampa Florida. (Longview RV) There was a mechanic there that had a long history of these coaches. He advised what was going on, was that the INTELLITAC, while the coach was at rest, plugged in-was tripping the solenoid in the back compartment, sending a trickle on and off to the CHASSIS BATTERIES. Kind of sending smal charges to the engine batteries so they are fresh. That causes the solenoid to pop on and off momentarily.

I did verify this, by disconnecting the wires from the INTELLITAC in the front, and this stopped. So, THIS posting is for informational purposes. I know that the INTELLITAC operates when batteries may be down some, and it senses the low voltage amount. I suspect I may need to replace the CHASSIS batteries soon. They have some age on them, and I was always thinking I should replace them, but they always started the coach with plenty of power. I know why as they are getting small charges routinely frllm the INTELLITAC.

Hope this helps anybody...again, for informational purposes..R
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote