Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
Tikisharkgt

Default 19 erd battery drain

Hi I’m new to the RV world and have just used the 19erd for the first time this week. It’s my in-laws camper and it’s seen little use since the purchase two years ago. We have been experiencing lots of battery drain and are at a plugged in camp site. Went to a marine store here yesterday and bought a brand new battery ( almost twice the capacity of the original dealer provided battery). Since yesterday we went from almost full power on the battery down to 23%. The dealer says that there is an integrated battery charger on the fuse panel, but it doesn’t appear to be charging much or at all. Right now I’ve got a trickle charger on the battery to bring it back up. Anyone else experienced this? We are turning off the water pump and water heater when we leave during the day and lights etc. The only thing running besides the fridge is the air conditioning. I’m guessing there is a larger issue here. Also our furrion dv3100 is not turning on at all. I’ll probably take that out once we return home to look at the wiring harness.

FYI my dad is here with us staying at a separate cottage and was an auto mechanic for years so we have a fair amount of knowledge between the two of us. Been reading through all the literature provided and are stumped. Any help is appreciated. I hope everyone had a great fourth!
Tikisharkgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
Tikisharkgt

This is the battery we purchased. I realize it’s not the top of the line but gives ideas of specs

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...33?recordNum=1
Old 07-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
UAHaerospace

sounds like your battery is not getting charged, which should be happening while you are plugged into 120v Shore Power. I don't know what an '19 erd' is, but it most likely has a Converter, which includes a battery charger, built into the same unit at the Main Electric panel/Fuse Panel.

So, if it's not getting power to the Battery Charger/batteries, then you're 12v usage will continue to deplete the battery, even when you are not 'there', as there are sometimes 'phantom' draws that continue. The air conditioner's Thermostat is most likely 12v, the Fridge is most likely controlled by 12v, etc.

also, as a side question. You say you 'turn OFF the water pump when you are not there', but are you not hooked up to a spigot for water?
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #4
Tikisharkgt

Hi thanks for the response. The 19 erd is the vintage cruiser model. The fuse panel does have an integrated charger but it doesn’t appear to be working at all.

We flip off the water pump and heat when we leave so it wouldn’t potentially drain the battery any further.

Once we are home my dad and I are going to dissemble the fuse panel and see if all the connections are done correctly. I’ll post back once we figure things out.