Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Gulf Stream Owners | Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-08-2023, 03:11 AM   #1
Denalli69

Default Needing help deciding on a 96 Tour Master

I've found a 96 Gulf Stream Tour Master, but I can't find the model # to help me figure out what it's worth. This thing is pristine, new tire, geni just overhauld, motor purrs, and has no leaks, rides and shifts amazing, no dings, dent , cracks, delamination, 72,000 and they are asking $13,000. So I could use some experienced advice on this thing if it's worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231005_174330.jpg (310.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20231005_174347.jpg (335.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20231005_174308.jpg (210.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20231005_174226.jpg (269.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20231005_174242.jpg (216.5 KB, 9 views)
Denalli69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 09:56 AM   #2
RY469

I look at what they are actually selling for (online). Here's a fairly good sight also: https://www.jdpower.com/rvs/1996/gulf-stream

Keep in mind many camp sights will not allow anything older than 10 years into the campground, and many repair shops feel the same way.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 10:40 AM   #3
Eddndee

I can’t tell you the model but it does look well kept. Gulfstream built a good motorhome back then even though they were a bit heavy. If it was me, I would pay to have it professionally inspected to learn what costs to expect in the near future.
Old 10-15-2023, 10:49 AM   #4
RVJeff

If it's 39' it's probably model 8392 if 40' it's 8400. You can check JD Power RV values online but those usually aren't accurate in my experience. I'd check the sold listings on eBay for similar units to get a better idea. I don't think it's an unreasonable price, but IMHO is on the high end for a non slide coach that old.
RVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 11:03 AM   #5
scenic8406

Well taken care of,check tire dates,and what size engine is it running with what series transmission…If it’s a 330 - 450 the full service of filters and fluids will run you materials of about 2000 grand,that’s hydraulic oil,engine oil filters ,antifreeze,2 fuel filters and a special coolant filters that always over looked,plus your transmission…If you have a side radiator the pump runs both the cooling fan and hydraulic steering…then there’s the Frt ball joint cover,if there bad that’s around 2 grand,radiator if not serviced runs 3-5 grand..There’s probably over 30 grease pts that need to be checked…Remember it can look great on the inside,but the roof is about a 5-10 grand fix,and your acs will be 1300 ea…My senic cruiser with the Allison 4000 and tag axle and ism 450 Cummins has run me since 2006,about 50 grand,,tires were 8 grand,and look at that air filter for signs of dusting…Goid price,probably on the mountain master chassis,with the rayco granning ifs Frt end 1200 series..good luck,but look past all the pretty…
scenic8406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 11:20 AM   #6
scenic8406

Default I’d numers

Most of the chassis info,should be above the drivers seat,or in the cabinet above the sink…gulfstream can’t help you without the vin/ serial number,also if it’s got slides,that other things to check,probably running big foot jacks,which it the best unit and easy to repair…Good luck,how long has it been setting also meaning a full break check,and axles fluids changed…If it’s the ifs Frt end you will wet Frt wheel bearing that need to be check,,There’s Hundreds of areas ,to check and double check…these older units run about 1.50 to 2.00 per mile to maintain and operate..Good luck,
scenic8406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 12:25 PM   #7
Chuck v

The floorplan will help you determine the model number. I will try to attach a brochure I found. Coaches with out slide-outs generally have fewer mechanical issues and leaks, but have a bit less living space...

Well, the brochure is too pig to attach here so look at this link:
https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/medi...Tourmaster.pdf

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 12:29 PM   #8
Chuck v

Here is a good article on the soft rule about "10 year old RVs" and park policies... A well kept vintage diesel pusher will not often get rejected.

https://www.technomadia.com/2018/04/...lder-rvs-away/

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 05:31 PM   #9
CoachStreamr

We have a Scenic Cruiser from that era... keep in mind the plumbing lines and manifold were made from that material that had issues. I would consider replacing those lines/manifold in the future if your Coach has that type. I have not done our Coach yet but access is straight forward.

https://www.polybutylene.com/poly.html

https://replumbs.com/polybutylene-pipe/

I had a thread in regards to this here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/crac...ml#post3916028

Our Coach has the same cabinets and color scheme, which sold my partner on the spot. She LOVES cream with gold trim and this interior. Ours is a wide body, no slides. it's actually 8' 8" wide.. I didn't think they could go over 8 1/2 feet.

That one looks clean from the pics. We bought ours from the 2nd Owner who actually updated the flooring and displays to flat screen (including ceiling custom wood cabinet up front).

Does that have Air Ride suspension? Does the current owner have service records/other original documents/records?

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:58 PM   #10
jamesham

The model number and technical details are on a piece of paper glued to back of kitchen cabinet in our rig. This is older rig that looks to be in good shape. A pro inspection may detect some areas of concern that will allow you to negotiate price a bit.

We never paid much attention to NADA or similar books. Online ask and sell prices are more current, but remember any used vehicle price is dependent on condition and prior maintenance.

We own a 96 Gulf Stream so older coach to us is a better investment, and might be in better condition than the new crap coming out of the factory today. The 10-year age rule does block you from some places that call themselves resorts, but those are too hoity-toity for us anyway.

Whenever we consider a change, we figure in the price of 4 to 6 new tires because of Age-Out, not Wear-Out. We replace all rubber hoses and belts, change all fluids. Trans fluid change is sometimes more difficult and costly than engine fluid changes. For safety, we have the wheels pulled and brakes inspection/cleaning/adjustment. Never have had to replace the rotors because most RV's do not have that many miles on them. We have paid to have all the old brake fluid replaced, and not too sure if that was necessary or perhaps we were oversold by a repair shop.

Jim Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denalli69 View Post
I've found a 96 Gulf Stream Tour Master, but I can't find the model # to help me figure out what it's worth. This thing is pristine, new tire, geni just overhauld, motor purrs, and has no leaks, rides and shifts amazing, no dings, dent , cracks, delamination, 72,000 and they are asking $13,000. So I could use some experienced advice on this thing if it's worth it.
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, delamination, model number, mountains, tourmaster