Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Gulf Stream Owners | Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2024, 01:16 PM   #1
Dave1690

Default Seeking help on 99 sunsport

Hello, I was gifted with a 99 Gulfstream sunsport. I have no manuals, no one to ask questions of.

Anyone out there willing to help?

Thanks to anyone who will respond.

Dave
Dave1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:35 PM   #2
Leisure Time Larry

Hi Dave, welcome. Congrats on your gift! Unfortunately, they really don't make a manual that is rig specific like we would hope. Most things will be dealt with pretty generically. Most of the elements of a coach are similar. It's just going to be locating and figuring everything out. That might take some work.

I really recommend getting intimate with your new coach. Take tons of pictures on your phone or digital camera that you can store for reference. Take all inside pictures. Stickers, switches, layouts, everything. Then go deeper. Inside cabinets, under sofas and chairs and beds. Take out the drawers, look with a flashlight for anything hidden... components, wiring, plumbing, etc. Continue taking pictures. Remove any access panels and document what is behind them again, looking at components, electrical, and wiring. All the while, be looking and note...where is: the freshwater tank, freshwater tank drain valves, low point drain valves, hot water tank and bypass valves, water pump, 120v outlets, 12 volt outlets, the house batteries, battery disconnect switch(s), water pump switch(s), slide switch(s), etc., etc.

Look for labels on your individual appliances or units like the fridge, stove, oven, microwave, furnace, water heater, AC, etc. Then, you can search for each manual online for downloading or printing.

I would shoot out a few specific questions at a time. Googling and searching on YouTube will help give answers. In the mean time, here are some good channels on YouTube that are a good place to start your education:

https://youtu.be/WFPcV9_1frE?si=LMM6mx7kSq-nWA-X

https://youtu.be/X7scHIvjyBk?si=mGljCPH5heK2Dkk_
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 09:11 AM   #3
Dave1690

That was an awesome write up LTL. ��. Thanks for taking the time. And I suspected this was going to be a learn the hard way adventure. I noticed you’re from Black Hills South Dakota. Ridden through there a few times while attending Sturgis rally. I have actually considered moving there. It is so beautiful.
I am learning the systems slowly troubleshooting water pump under the bed at the moment. Found the major water leak. Apparently there is a drain valve tip drain the tank that was left open. Tried filling the water tank only to discover there’s a leak in the pump and low pressure. I’m replacing it with a SEAFLO 56A because I like the variable speed feature. there is currently a 3.5 GPM at 45 psi . Hope the new pump isn’t going to overpressure this old system.

Going to try dumping the full black tank for the first time tomorrow. I’m pretty sure that’s where all of the smells are coming from ha ha ha I’m like 99% sure on the light panel HT 1 is black Water and HT 2 is gray Water. ��. Everything stinks.

When shining a flashlight into the semi see-through water tank I see what looks to be stuff on the inside of the tank? Is this mold? How do I get rid of all this stuff?

I know this is going above and beyond new member introduction ha ha ha should I take this thread into another Forum?

Thanks again for the reply.
Dave
Old 01-31-2024, 11:36 AM   #4
Leisure Time Larry

There are good folks here, but this is a smaller forum. Honestly, my recommendation for you is to head over to the much larger iRV2 (I RV too! ) forum at http://www.irv2.com

Start a thread in one of the forums, maybe the Class A forum, similar to what you did here. Title it something similar, maybe "Seeking help with a 1999 Gulf Stream Sunsport (and add the model number if you know it)" Introduce yourself and how you've come into the motorhome. Mention that you're a newbee and that you'll probably need a lot of help. Then, one subject/question at a time, ask it there. Maybe ask for advice on how to clean the tanks, or the fresh water tank specifically. When satisfied, ask about something else in the same thread. I personally prefer it when it is done that way instead of someone starting a new thread for every subject. Keeping the information together helps me get the whole picture.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Old 01-31-2024, 12:00 PM   #5
Dave1690

Thanks for the advice I will head over there
Old 01-31-2024, 12:06 PM   #6
Leisure Time Larry

A few thoughts on what you've mentioned...

-Water pump. Since you are replacing it, add in a filter before the pump since you have gunk in the fresh water tank. Keep that stuff from fouling your new pump.

-Dumping the tanks. Either inspect your dump hose, fittings, equipment really well, or replace it before you try to dump the tanks that haven't been dumped in a while. You don't want leaks or anything more explosive happening when you do that, especially if it really stinks. Also, mostly fill the black and gray tanks with water (you want that volume and weight and pressure when dumping) and even a some Dawn dish soap. You might want to let it sit a while before dumping. Dump the black tank first. Then the gray. You may want to fill and dump a couple of times to get them mostly cleaned out.

-Smells. After dumping the tanks, add some water to the drains to fill the traps. Just like a house, that keeps sewer gas from coming up and out. Check the seal on the toilet. Does it hold water? If it won't keep water from going down, it won't keep smells from coming up. Replace if bad. YouTube. Finally, one of the best RV upgrades I've done is replacing the vent caps with the 360 siphon ones. Made a huge difference with smells by creating a vacuum with the slightest of breeze that draws the sewer gasses out and away from the coach. https://youtu.be/8wlr3ZW27MM?si=kTBBzw2eDASm9H9h&t=18

Best of luck on the adventure!