Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
3454terryg

Default Roof sealant

Should a newbie who just bought a used coach this winter, seal the roof before we find a leak? What would you use to do this and where do you get it and how do you apply it?
3454terryg
3454terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Roof sealant

I got one leak one time and that was enough for me, so what I done was to buy two rolls of Eternabond tape and applied it to all the seams on the roof. This stuff once you put it on, you do not have to worry about any leaks anymore. I bought the tape through Amazon and saved some cash. Get the four inch tape so that you can wrap it over the existing caulking, but allow about one inch on each side for the tape to stick to the fiberglass. Do it on a warm day and be sure to clean the surface where you are going to apply the Eternabond. I used lacquer thinner to clean the seam where it was dirty. That Eternabond will stick to everything. You will need somebody to help you to hold the tape where you first start laying it while you unroll it and lay it straight before it touches the fiberglass.

Leaks can be very hard to find, and with any little crack on the caulking water will start getting through.

Good luck!
RayChez
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
3454terryg

thankyou for the tip
3454terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
scenic8406

Ive used the either bond with great results.But ive moved on to resealin the whole roof using a product by conklin ind.Call scott at rv roof soulations ask about there dys kits.Its laytex acry.w /seam tape.Tell him ur vech.size and he can help u.Hes done work for me w/product and ive had no other problems.I even molded a drip ext. out of rubber to keep rain water an most of blk. streak away.The installs simple if u do cleanin correct.Contact scott at818-332-0645/or atrvroofingsolultions.com.He will send u samples of material.It also helps with keepin heat out.Good luck.One quick note also Ive tore my roor 2 times on limbs just reglued rubber roof ;then relayed product on area .No problems it just flows in damaged areas.Even used it on slide toppers.Toppers 12yr old had sun damage started to wick so i covered them 2 years ago.Work like new i just spray them with 303 sealer from campin world.Also use that same 303 on tires before i cover them for ext.stays.It help w/tires lastin 12 years.Happy travels.
scenic8406 is offline   Reply With Quote