Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
RayHarkness

Default Norcold 1200

well, I hate to bring up this topic. I had replaced the board in my Norcold 1200. it was working GREAT..absolutely happy with it. getting cold temps at lower setting.
last trip, early june. recently tried to fire up the fridge, and it cooled, then it shut itself off overnight. code..the dreaded.. "no co". I have no idea what happened now. I can reset the board, (Dinosaur boarde) which was absolutely the best. I can find nothing wrong. some have posted, replace the Thermistor. I will do so....but think I have reached my end on this fridge.

My question is..what are people going to now? I was going to go residential, but I can NOT fit one in. The current norcold sits on top of the Furnace area, and I dn't have the height.... now..I am stuck with going with similar, gas absorption. Norcold or Dometic, any ideas..what might be the best and have had good luck with? PIcking everybodies brain here......... Thanx for any thoughts... and this ain't gonna be easy!
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Norcold 1200

Ray, do you have the recall safety switch that will shut it down if the coils get too hot? If so and you do not have a coil leak, my understanding is that you can reset the heat sensor with a magnet IF that is the problem.

Mine is still working real good, but you never know when this things will break down. If mine ever goes bad, I guess I will try and install the same Norcold brand. I have to have one that runs on propane and electric. Residential will not work on mine either. We dry camp some and I do not want to add two more batteries, plus another invertor, plus solar. So I would either buy the Amish coils to replace the defective original coils or just buy the whole fridge.

Might have to remove the windshield to get that baby in though. Yikes!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
RayHarkness

I know exactly your situation. not sure if I should put any more money into this one. I put a dinosaur board in it..and it worked unbelievably well...last used it in early June.
started to run it a week ago..and got No Co....not sure what I will do.
I have measured things..and can't get a residential in, due to the furnace under it.

I ordered a new thermister..will try that this week. I checked that black box as well..the light is not on...so appraently it is not tripped. I will take a magnet down just to check. I may be at the end of my life cycle here.

I had a neighbor, who put in residential. They took out a side window, took the Norcold out thru side window, then put residential in....which I would prefer..scared me to pull that windshield...if it eve got broke..not sure we can get a new one...............which also scares me. I will keep you posted.

R
Old 08-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
RayChez1

Ray, I went through all the codes listed on the Norcold package that I got from when I bought the coach new and I do not see a code No Co anywhere. Are you sure that is what is showing on your fridge?

I was trying to find what the problem could be under the trouble shooting list, but had no luck.

Have you tried calling Norcold?

Or you might try posting on another forum like IRV2 forum. It is much better then RV.NET
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
RayHarkness

its called No Co for NO COOL..I guess.
I just met with an RV place down here, and they are VERY good. I was quite impressed with the owner. Its located on this back street, near the airport. I pulled up in my car, and there were probably 30 high end coaches there being worked on. LARGE staff.

Talked with the owner, he said could be the cooling unit it shot. We both know, think your the same, that we can't put a residential in...didn't really want to do that.
He said, the they can pull it out in the coach, and replaced the cooling unit itself. Everything stays the same. I am meeting some of his guys on Thursday afternoon, to have them take an intiail look. The unit was really working good back in June..I was very impressed. That dinosaur board is really worth replacing.

He said he is pretty sure its NOT the dinosaur board, (there is a reset on it, which I tried) He suspects the cooling unit...all the crap on the back, has gone bad. I said what do we do...well.he said we can replace the cooling unit iteslef, keep the same fridge box etc, and boards. They should be able to deremine he said. Our coach is 2002, so he said, you are long on time on that unit. He said he ALSO had a 2002, in his coach, that they just replaced all the crap in the back. Cost about 1500. They buy NORCOLD, not some of these other off beat brands. This guy seemed to know what was up....so we will know tomorrow. He said they made a ton of modifications, and its so much better. I was acutally happy til this deal happened. Wife is ticked at this, so trying to do it under the radar!!! If we can just do the back, not put an entire new unit in...it sounds like the way to go. SO, I will keep you posted. I did get a new Thermister, that I plan on putting in today or tomorrow...some say that could do it..some say, that wouldn't do it..so who knows.

I was VERY impressed with the shop, and the guys knowledge of things Had a friend with Winne Ultimate Freedom, these guys took his 1200 out, put in a residential. They had to do a TON of modifications..and it came out really really well. I checked it out...they come in thru a SIDE window..not take out the windshield..which I felt better about. At any rate, Thursday, they will meet me and try to get a handle on it...

I did check that bypass black box..he said they can check that. THOSE hvae been known to go bad as well. I did NOT get the idea that this guy wants to get the highest price resolve on this little project. Honestly, pending on what I have seen now, I would defintely go back to this shop.

More to come as we figure this out. OH..he told me I can disconnect the thermister, just unplug it, and the fridge goes into HIGH cool mode...won't hurt it..so its something I can try. I am just wondering if that Black Box, crapped out on me...they keep those in stock I guess.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:01 PM   #6
RayChez1

I assume the black box is the box that is on the outside. Only way to get to it is by removing the vent cover on the outside? That is the only box I know off that has the mother board. It also has two or three fuses in there that blow out every once in a while. I had one blow on me like ten years ago while I was in Oregon. I called one of those RV mechanics that come around to the RV parks and he went straight to that box and replaced a five amp fuse.

But I do not remember what code was flashing inside the motor home. It might have been NO CO.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
RayHarkness

durnjg one of the recalls...they installed a black box, on the "chimney", with some wires come over to a black box, that was clipped on to one of the lower tubing, above the black cover for the circuit board. I know what your talking about. I have that cover off, and checked two fuses...5 amp.and they are good. The replacement dinsoaur board I put in was amazing. (well...I THINK) and the fridge worked the best it ever had. They are coming out to see, before we make a major decision. hoping its something simple...he did tell me they can replace that entire back of the unit, pull the fridge out insdie, put new everything on the back.........NORCOLD...and hopefully we should be good to go, if we need that route. I hate the thought of pulling it ou completely, and putting an entire new one in.

but....they told me they go thru a s ide window...it will go...NOT THE WINDSHIELD..some say you have to take the windshield out..that scares the hell out of me, because what if that gets broken....how do you replace one..but I guess they can duplicate it someplace.

I will let you know...oh... on this dinosaur board, there IS a reset button. The original norcold board you had to jump #15 to ground or something...that is out of my pay grade...I tried the reset here, didn't work..but I am going to let these guys do it before I blow up the entire coach. I had just got inside sealed nicely, and put in a new icemaker..all was great. I was feeling quite confident!!!

will update..r
Old 09-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
RayChez1

Hello Ray,
Was wondering what the latest update is on your Norcold 1200 LRIM.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 09-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
RayHarkness

wellllllllllllllllllllllll
found a good service provider..they gave me a ton of ideas...etc.

I got a new thermister, I did not [put it on. He told me to start the fridge, unhook the themirster coupling, and that causes the fridge to run full bore. Give it 24 hours.
I got cool, almost cold in the freezer. FRIDGE box was dead..warm as the outside. Long and short of it, need to replace the cooling unit on the back. They cost about 1600 bucks. Or put a new one in. At this stage, financially, can't afford a new fridge at almost 4000 or a residential, that would need to be fitted in, taked out a window etc.

FYI...friend of mine put a residential in, and they brought it thru the same size side window as we have. Took the window out, slid the Norcold out on forklight, then new on ine...We have one furnace under the fridge, and dont' have enough height.

He said, I had replaced everything else, new dinsoaur board (which worked GREAT) new burner, new ignitor...so he said it should be pretty up to date. He did his own RV, same thing, just the cooling unit on the back. We talked about Amish units or others, and he said, he didn't think there was much difference...plus warranty for him to fix it if it goe bad. Norcold will pay. Other will allow 100 bucks for labor if it needs replacing sticking it to the provider/servicer.

so that is going to be the plan I think. He said hew new cooling unit with the Dinosaur board should make it as good as new...I asked about the fire hazard. He said, just don't run it on LP if you can..thats where the problem occurred, and keep that sensor box in place. I put a HAYLON fire unit (type used in bilges of boats) right in that back fridge compartment. He thought that was a pretty cool idea.

will keep you posted...R
Old 09-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
RayChez1

Yes keep me posted because my Norcold 1200 LRIM is almost going on fourteen years. Still working great! Fridge stays at around 38 degrees and the freezer freezes ice cream solid.

But like anything, I am expecting it to go. Have only had three major problems in thirteen years. One was the fuel pump on the Cat engine, but luckily it was still under warranty. The second was the exhaust manifold on the Cat engine also and that cost me $1200. for a new manifold installed at Freight liner Las Vegas. And now I have two issues which are not critical, but I have to attend to them sooner then later. My furnace does not want to ignite, so I got an appointment to get it fixed. Probably around a couple of hundred to change the board or some sensor and the other is my levelers have been acting up on the control panel. Big Foot which is the manufacturer of the Quadra levelers called me up and said it was the limit switch which has to be replaced. They are $30.00 each. Need three and I will replace them myself. Looks pretty easy to replace. So I consider those just small maintenance repairs.

But the Norcold does worry me since I have read of so many going out. I use the propane on the fridge all the time while driving down the road. Never have had any problems. But you are right about getting a residential fridge to fit in the same box where the Norcold 1200 is. You can not go up because it is already up to the ceiling, and down you could probably go down two inches, but that would require some major carpenter work.

There is a Samsung fridge that might fit, but then comes the rest of the expense that goes with the Samsung. You have to add another inverter that is Pure Sine wave, plus two more six volt batteries or what ever you have as house batteries to support the fridge. That alone is another $1500.00 on top of the new fridge which will probably cost about another $1500.
And if you do any dry camping, you will have to add some solar panels. Plus labor which is not cheap now days.

So I think the best thing to do is to stay with what you have and just add the new parts you were talking about. I think if you can get another ten years or more out of it, it would pay for itself.

Keep me posted Ray
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 09-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
RayHarkness

I know where you are coming from....one thing after another. I had problems with my slides going out..turned out the cylinders were shot. I found two local guys that do hydraulic cylinder repairs. They wanted to get into the RV area...they came out, removed them, rebuilt them, and put them back in. It was a bit of a job on the main front slide. Both of these guys were young, and not lacking for muscle. The one guy has done hydraulic work on industrial stuff. He just looked ,,,made some marks..notes...and took out the cylinder. He put them back in..tightened down nuts perfectly. They understood all the deal, but think our systems are MINOR compare to the major industrial stuff.

I will keep you posted on the cooling system if we get to that. My guy is out of town, so I am waiting til he gets back. Seems like the best way to go. Sad part it was reallllllllllllllly working great, then sat for 1.5 months, and the thing was done...Freezer was somewhat cold (but not what to the point where it should be) the box was TOAST..NOTHING... he said this is no uncommon. NOw, he noted that I have the dinoaur board, which really made a heck of a difference. I know my fridge was working the best it has ever done. I was running 34 to 35 in the fridge area..which was good. Considering...If I could get my wife to NOT just open the doors and look around...taking her time!

I think its best way to go now. I had thought about buying at Atwood AC unit for the front, which has heat in it. remove the furnace, and they can put that residential in. My friend did it on his Winnie Ulimate Freedom...Samsungh. Now..they did the work for hm. Its counter depth fridge, so not as deep. He LOVES IT.. He said, he can get things cool, then he can travel for hours, with it staying cold. So much better insulated. He said it draws 1.5 amps..where the Norcold runs 6amps. But...I dont' want to replace an overhead AC unit, take out the furnace. so, we don't do that much traveling. I replaced the board, the ignitor, the burner, and not much else to replace. The new burner made a HUGE difference...well worth the time. You can hear it roaring very smooth, where the old burner was popping and not running smooth when on.

It wasn't that bad to do. The ignitor went into the new board, I was just very careful not to screw that up. All in all..we will see. I can make this work...

More to update you when I get this job done. I really kind of wanted to still keep the LP option for traveling............

hope I made the right decision. Over and out!