Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
Plemons

Default TV while in motion?

OK, I need help to override the cutoff switch on TV while the coach is in motion. The reason is I am having a in motion satellite installed tomorrow and have Direct TV and would like to listen the the XM channels on the surround sound while I am driving. (NOT to watch TV). This seems like a good alternative to paying additional fees for XM radio. I have a 2005 Gulfstream Crescendo. There is only one plug for the TV to plug into. I know there must be a way to do this easily.

Thanks,

Plemons
Old 01-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
RJ82much

John,

I won't be much help, but most likely the TV-lockout is either
Odyssey 192424 110025, or
Wesco LO-1. I don't know why 2 items are listed, but they are.

The lock-out system is apparently nothing more than a relay, powered by a 12 volt ignition circuit. You may simply try to unplug the lead to the relay coil. It is likely a purple, 18 guage wire in the back of the wall box??? (I've never looked at mine, so I'm guessing)

Try to unplug the purple DC wire & see if the TV stays on when you start your MH engine. It seems logical that the ignition power would open the AC circuit, otherwise you would run down your batteries when the engine isn't running.

If that doesn't do it, rewire the AC part so that the power lead bypasses the relay contact & lands right on the outlet terminal. Be careful as there is 120 volts AC in the box with genset running or plugged into shore power.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

If you have a Freightliner Chassis, look in the front drivers side compartment where all the fuses/relays are located.

There should be a fuseblock chart on the bottom of the compartment, look at this chart at the ignition or Fuseblock "A". You want to find the listing for the fuse "TV Relay - Ign. Defeat". On mine it is fuse position B3 listed as a 5A fuse but mine had a 10A fuse in it.

Remove the cover for the Fuseblock "A" or ignition feed fuseblock. You want to remove the fuse described above or according to your fuse chart.

This should disable the relay over ride that shuts off the 110v power to the TV when the ignition switch is turned on and while driving, at least it does on mine.

Let me know how it does, Oh just one thing, it is illegal in most states for the TV to be on that the driver can view while in the drivers seat.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
RJ82much

Ron,

I saw on the diagram that the relay 12 volt DC lead (# TVR) landed at a fuse, but was in hurry & didn't notice if there was any other devices on the circuit. WOW, really simple if that's all you need to do.

I agree with the illegality (& danger) of viewing the TV will driving. The XM radio angle is interesting & meets the intent of audio only.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Plemons

I agree with the illegality (& danger) of viewing the TV will driving. The XM radio angle is interesting & meets the intent of audio only.[/quote]

Thanks for the replies, I had the in-motion dish installed today and came home and went behind the electrical box and found the purple wire( which was nicely labeled by the way as 12 volt supply), I clipped the wire and installed a wire nut on it. Now I can listen to the XM channels as I start my trip from Houston to Orlando next week. You can trust that I won't be watching any TV while driving down the road. Thanks again for the help.

Plemons
Old 01-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ82much
Ron,

I saw on the diagram that the relay 12 volt DC lead (# TVR) landed at a fuse, but was in hurry & didn't notice if there was any other devices on the circuit. WOW, really simple if that's all you need to do.

I agree with the illegality (& danger) of viewing the TV will driving. The XM radio angle is interesting & meets the intent of audio only.
According to the diagram I received from Gulf Stream and what I have found out by removing the fuse, there is nothing else on the circuit.

I wish I had know about that on our first GS coach, I cut the wire which was a pain behind the receptcle box with my size 15 fingers.

Pulling the fuse is really simple and really easy to undo.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote