Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-15-2019, 11:26 PM   #1
DolceFarNiente

Default Replacing a rear ladder

Has anyone here ever replaced the rear ladder on their Class A?

On this latest trip, someone in one of the campgrounds we stayed at ran into the back of my '97 Sun Voyager, bending the heck out the ladder and cracking the fiberglass grill on the engine. Wasn't home when it happened and no one saw it, or would admit to it.

Since the rig is a '97, I doubt I can get an OEM ladder, but I was hoping one of the "universal" replacements might work. Its not a straight ladder, but has a bump out about hip height and the last few steps are hinged and flip up for travel.

I have to replace it; its unclimbable as is.
DolceFarNiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:44 AM   #2
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolceFarNiente View Post
Has anyone here ever replaced the rear ladder on their Class A?

On this latest trip, someone in one of the campgrounds we stayed at ran into the back of my '97 Sun Voyager, bending the heck out the ladder and cracking the fiberglass grill on the engine. Wasn't home when it happened and no one saw it, or would admit to it.

Since the rig is a '97, I doubt I can get an OEM ladder, but I was hoping one of the "universal" replacements might work. Its not a straight ladder, but has a bump out about hip height and the last few steps are hinged and flip up for travel.

I have to replace it; its unclimbable as is.
This would be a good time to use your insurance.
From what you describe you wouldn't even have to pay a deductible.
It's the main reason I keep insurance on our motor coach year round.
When you claim for insurance take it up to the local RV place and in the course of the estimate the parts needed will be all on the estimate.
Then you will have the choice to either have them do it or save money and do it yourself.
I can guide you through what it takes to change it. It's a fairly straight forward repair if you have basic repair skills.
Let us know how it goes.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
Boze33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
This would be a good time to use your insurance.
From what you describe you wouldn't even have to pay a deductible.
It's the main reason I keep insurance on our motor coach year round.
When you claim for insurance take it up to the local RV place and in the course of the estimate the parts needed will be all on the estimate.
Then you will have the choice to either have them do it or save money and do it yourself.
I can guide you through what it takes to change it. It's a fairly straight forward repair if you have basic repair skills.
Let us know how it goes.
Hi Restorium, I realize this is an old post but was interested to know if you could tell me if there is a "securing" block or material that the ladder set points are screwed into on the inside of the fiberglass? My bolts have rusted out completely and need to know if a unscrew/drill out the rusted screws, will the anchor plate fall out and then have nothing to secure the ladder bracket to other than the fiberglass end cap? That would not be ideal.
Thanks,
Bill
Boze33 is offline   Reply With Quote