Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
tarheel

Default Air Conditioning Starting Capacitors Issue

Earlier this year I had a problem with the air conditioning unit in the bedroom of my "07 Tourmaster while in Wyoming. I found a local RV tech that took care of the problem and it was the starting capacitor on the Dometic air conditoning unit. While replacing it, he told me that if he had another one with him he would replace the front one before it went bad because that particular unit was designed with a capacitor that most were failing. He also said that he had replaced a dozen in the past couple of weeks before fixing mine. A couple of weeks ago my front unit went out and tripped the generator breaker. I had it replaced yesterday. I don't know the model of my Dometic unit, but the purpose of posting this is to suggest if you have one or your units with this problem, have the others replaced at the same time and save the grief of losing another one on a day when the temps are in the 90's.

Dick
Old 11-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
keikomika

Default Re: Air Conditioning Starting Capacitors Issue

I have to say that back in August 2011 when the temps in the midwest were over 100, I had the same thing happen. The front start capacitor went out. The local RV shop had to order the part. Of course, they did not order 2 of them because a week later, the bedroom A/C unit had the same problem ...Had to go and order another capacitor. Good idea to replace them both...
keikomika is offline   Reply With Quote