Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
lauxydad

Default Steering wheel shakes

2001 class A Conquest.....Chevy 8.1L Vortec / Workhorse chassis
At 50-60 MPH my steering wheel shakes (even passenger seat shakes!) I have had front brake pads, rotors,calipers all replaced. Also bearings greased. Just put 2 new tires on front and they were balanced. Still in shop trying to figure the shaking out. Anybody have suggestions? I am at a lost.

Thanks,
Ed
lauxydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
Chuck v

None of those brake parts would address a shake at speed when the brakes are not being actively applied...

Front end alignment is a first thing to check, particularly the toe-in specification. Tie rod ends might be worn allowing some ambiguity in the alignment dynamically. There are aftermarket steering stabilizers that might be considered.

How many miles are on the coach?

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #3
lauxydad

Thanks Chuck......RV has 44k miles and i did have an alignment done.

Ed
Old 09-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Chuck v

Found this on another site about a special service bulletin for that chassis:

You say it is a 2007 then it may be on a 2006 chassis.
There was a special service bulletin issued for front end problems that may be the culprit. It is for Years 2003-2006 Express and Savana and now may be beyond that.

It has to do with the Steering Arm Attaching Bracket Fracture and its repair. This condition may be serious and might be what is causing the problem you describe after jacking it up.

CLICK HERE And scroll thru them by hitting "NEXT PAGE" in upper left corner. Page 3 shows a picture of the Fix.

If it were me I would take it to A Chevy Truck Dealer
and have them check it out. That is how I found out about it in the first place,they can run your Vin# and tell you of any bulletins or recalls. I also had them check it when I was there and they found no fractures.

Chevy Express do not have the same problem as the Fords in wearing out the Upper Control arm bushings or ball joints,I just had my 2006 with over 96000 miles on in for an alignment and everything was tight and in remarkable shape with very little wear according to the Tech. The only thing that they did was tighten up the steering a bit and level the steering wheel.

I don't know if this sort of thing applies to the Workhorse chassis though...

Chuck

Old 09-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
lauxydad

Thanks again.....will look into this. I have a 2001 but I'll try anything that may help.

Ed
Old 09-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
Chuck v

Ed,

Is this shaking a new symptom on a coach you have owned for some time, or is it something that has been an issue since you acquired the coach? If it started during your tenure -- what changes were made that exposed it?

Did you dynamically balance the tires on the vehicle? This would account for any contribution of the hub/rotor to balance issues, etc. I am certainly no expert in any of this and perhaps other readers will chime in with useful direct experience...

My Freightliner chassis on my full size diesel pusher has been very stable at all speeds up to well over 70...but it is a completely different animal as it weighs well north of 32,000 pounds fully loaded, and I tow a 5000 pound SUV as well.

Chuck

Old 09-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
lauxydad

The shaking has been since I got it in May. It was in shop for several months dealing with the hyper booster, tune up and brake system. I thought the shaking was a flat spot on the tires and eventually decided to buy 2 new front tires.

Ed
Old 09-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
lauxydad

Hey Chuck....
want to let you know .....I had a repair shop look at my RV again and discovered the previous shop took me for a ride. The front brake rotors were in bad shape after being replaced!) and had to be turned. Also the bearings were nearly dry and were repacked with grease. It was also discovered one of the coils and spark plug wires were bad. Anyway, she runs fine now with thankfully no shaking. Thanks for all your input !
Ed