Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
swall

Default Electrical help

I need electrical help on 2 things for a 2005 Gulf Stream Endura on the Chevy Kodiak 5500 chassis.
1) neither mid body orange marker(clip) lights work. all other marker lights work. bulbs ohm good. i pulled the socket and it has a 6 in pig tail, no voltage there either. from there the wires dive into a rather large bundle. does anyone know where the next crimp connection is?
2) microwave runs for exactly 1 min then stops no matter how long you set the time. during that min it heats properly. yes, it can be replaced but seems like something simple and i'm not an appliance expert. kinda annoying to start it 3 times to get a bag of popcorn. any ideas?
thanks in advance
swall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
Sudsy

Call Millie at Gulf Stream.

800-289-8787
x3406

She may have the wiring diagrams that you need for the lights.

She will need the last six numbers of the VIN to identify your coach

On thre Microwave, it sound like a control board has failed. If it's in your capability take it out and find a repair shop. Should not be expensive. If they say it's the "magnatron" get it back and take it somewhere else.

Or replace it.

Sudsy
Old 09-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
swall

any tips on the microwave removal? i was able to remove the wood trim piece to access the top side and removed the bolts that hold up the front. can't get it to swing down. do they put screws anywhere else?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
BT5210

Quote:
Originally Posted by swall View Post
any tips on the microwave removal? i was able to remove the wood trim piece to access the top side and removed the bolts that hold up the front. can't get it to swing down. do they put screws anywhere else?
some times you have to push it in the cabinet farther to un hook the rear bracket...and some times it's a wall bracket that it sits on,,,and some times it has a bracket on the sides....does it sit on the floor of the cabinet???... or is it open??
BT5210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
swall

it is an above the range type. amana brand. definitely a wall bracket along the back that it is sitting on. with a flashlight i can see through the crack along the top and both sides and nothing is attached. it feels like its something near the center top back holding it. i took the exterior vent cover off hoping to find a screw into the back, nothing.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #6
Sudsy

So is this also an exhaust fan for the stove? (Range Hood) If so take off the filter(s) and see if you see a couple large screws that run up at an angle to the back bracket. That's how my Sharp is mounted. Careful as when you loosen the long screws the unit is going to drop at the front.

Sudsy
Old 09-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
swall

yes sir, that got it. thanks
Old 09-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #8
Sudsy

Great, glad I could help. Look for almost any "over the range" unit for a replacement. Like I said my Sharp mounted the same as yours.

Sudsy
Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #9
Frutza

looks like your replacing the microwave, good, I think it was a Samsung in that age that had a recall, that Samsung stopped honoring, but feel lucky your just shuts off, mine would start by itself, empty usually in the middle of the night, a little scary, it had a bad membrane for the buttons
Old 09-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #10
swall

i took the microwave down to the local appliance repair shop. guy needed $40 just to look at it. we began to chat and he said the problem is usually door switches and they are easy and about $5 each. i asked what a control board would cost and he said over $100. at this point i'm thinking i'd rather put $150ish towards a new one so i left. watched a few you tube videos and then tested all the door switches, they were good. To shorten the story the bad part was the damper door motor. Picked one up on amazon for $30. put it in tonight and yipppie microwave is back in operation.

On another note Ms Millie sent me the wiring diagrams but i havent had time to chase that yet.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #11
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by swall View Post
i took the microwave down to the local appliance repair shop. guy needed $40 just to look at it. we began to chat and he said the problem is usually door switches and they are easy and about $5 each. i asked what a control board would cost and he said over $100. at this point i'm thinking i'd rather put $150ish towards a new one so i left. watched a few you tube videos and then tested all the door switches, they were good. To shorten the story the bad part was the damper door motor. Picked one up on amazon for $30. put it in tonight and yipppie microwave is back in operation.

On another note Ms Millie sent me the wiring diagrams but i havent had time to chase that yet.
Be very careful with that microwave. A lot of those were recalled due to a faulty touch control board. Depending on how it malfunctions it can be a fire hazard just like the cooktops they are recalling again now.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
RayChez1

The best move anybody can make is to ask You Tube for help on fixing something. I use it every time I can't figure something out. Good videos!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #13
Liv2RidMIke

Sorry to hear ur problems SWall, a little off topic here but do u find that your passenger mirror needs to be sticking out further to get a clear view of the side of the RV? i have same unit.
Liv2RidMIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #14
swall

mike, havent noticed that, they both hang waaay out there. ive got a clear view with both.

restorium, thanks for the heads up. decided to leave it unplugged unless occupied.

update on electrical: the bad crimp was inside a little cover in the back corner of the rear storage on driver side. so marker lights are all working now.