Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-20-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
H&k

Default hauling

hello we just bought a 2009 gulfstream Caribbean 38c. I would like to haul my 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 average weight is 6300 hundred pound so we figured fully loaded it would be about 6500 pounds. according to the specs I have read on my gulfstream should be at a max of 5000 hauling pounds. my question is do you think it will do any harm by hauling the ram have or do I need to get a smaller truck to haul without any issues?? thank you for your time H&K
H&k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
Chuck v

H & K,

I am sure that the weight you listed is not the curb weight of that model truck, which is in the range of Curb weight: 4,517 to 5,670 lbs ...depending on cab style, etc. Maybe the 6300 pounds you quoted is a max weight with payload?

However, even at the lowest unloaded curb weight, this is a towed vehicle that is probably a bit too much for the RV to handle. A good rule of thumb for any towing application is to not exceed 75% or 80% of ratings to have a good margin of safety. That said, a towed car of about 4000 pounds seems like a good target for your motor home.

For my Tour Master diesel pusher, the tow rating is 10,000 pounds. The 2005 Acura MDX has a curb weight of 4,608 pounds so with personal belongings in the car it was under 5,000 pounds at all times...lots of margin there for my coach but still too much for your present rig.

Be safe and stay within ratings...and always use a good quality brake controller and auxiliary braking system and a properly rated tow bar.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
H&k

Default Chuck V

Thank you very much for answering my question i really apperciate it a lot. Have great and safe travels
H&k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
althotos

Default Towing.

My Crescendo with the Cat diesel and 6 speed Allison is rated at towing around 10,000 lbs. It could easily handle a 6500 lb truck. Currently it tows my 3500 VW Tiguan as if it wasn't there. If the manufacturer recommends 5000 lb max, I would definitely keep it under that so that you don't tear up your transmission. That might cost as much as a used toad that weighs around 3500. Good luck.
althotos is offline   Reply With Quote