Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-06-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
lets go

Default BT Cruiser 5245 first outing

Picked up out BT Cruiser a week ago, ordered it March 15th not bad timing. When we picked it up it was dirty inside and out as it had made a 2,200 mile trip to get to dealership and they were in a hurry to get it off the lot because they had more units coming.

First issue was the tail light was not working correctly, brake light and turn signal would not work ended up being bulb was not installed correctly. Wiring is really terrible and lamp sockets should be illegal the way they are made.

Second issue was water under kitchen sink, took fitting apart and added some teflon tape. Every tool box should have this item,

Third issue refrigerator door handle broke, shabby installation with box in crooked and causing a hard rub, was able to make it work but will have to go in to get fixed right.

Fourth issue battery went dead after only three days of light usage and when house battery is dead you can put slide in or start generator. Was able to start truck engine and charge battery enough to start generator.

Luckily I am handy enough to solve these problems but to a novice it would have been a bad experience.

Just had to share this with others to let them know they are not alone
lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:56 AM   #2
Tillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets go View Post
Picked up out BT Cruiser a week ago, ordered it March 15th not bad timing. When we picked it up it was dirty inside and out as it had made a 2,200 mile trip to get to dealership and they were in a hurry to get it off the lot because they had more units coming.

First issue was the tail light was not working correctly, brake light and turn signal would not work ended up being bulb was not installed correctly. Wiring is really terrible and lamp sockets should be illegal the way they are made.

Second issue was water under kitchen sink, took fitting apart and added some teflon tape. Every tool box should have this item,

Third issue refrigerator door handle broke, shabby installation with box in crooked and causing a hard rub, was able to make it work but will have to go in to get fixed right.

Fourth issue battery went dead after only three days of light usage and when house battery is dead you can put slide in or start generator. Was able to start truck engine and charge battery enough to start generator.

Luckily I am handy enough to solve these problems but to a novice it would have been a bad experience.

Just had to share this with others to let them know they are not alone
This is why I always buy used. Let the first owner deal with all the issues from poor QC. Warranty repairs take forever and usually involve a fight with the dealer and/or manufactures.
Tillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #3
dfwbmw

Mine was same way. Just got it in June. Dirty, wires hanging off everything underneath, nothing tucked up, most all fittings leaked water. They don't need thread tape just hand tighten about another 1/2 turn. The head mechanic at this large dealer here in dallas texas area said he was told not to fix any of gulf streams pour workmanship and let the customer bring it back to be fixed. So I did it all myself. I have rebuild cars and engines since I was 12 not a big deal but yes kind of pour but I knew this before I ordered it. Only very high end will not be as if a stoner put it together!! But that all being said my 5245 with dream dinette has been good. I really like for what we paid for it.
dfwbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #4
Tillie

Default RV Quality is poor from all manufactures.

It is sad that the assembly quality of all RVs is poor. Owning an RV requires mechanical/electrical ability or deep pockets. That is why I rather buy used and often the repairs are what drive people out of the game. I hear people say all of the time that something always breaks on each trip and getting repairs at the dealer is horrific. I bought my first RV over 20 years ago and never took one to the dealer for anything.
Tillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:53 AM   #5
dfwbmw

I help two others with their RV's also. One with electrical problems that I got sorted and he also had a generator that would not run and had not run for over two years. Got it all going for him. Installed an EMS in another friends RV and drove it with seafoam running through it. It is interesting to see some of the "what where they thinking" stuff on these. I know they are in a hurry demand is high right now and it hard to get people to work.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #6
freewheeler

I am also a new owner of the 5245. I was looking to the forum to try to find out who provides the "house battery". The Dealer or Gulfstream? I've had mine out 3 times and the last 2 times the battery would not start the generator. (I'm not new to RV's and how to maintain batteries). It was a 12-volt deep cycle battery that looks like it could not have been new. I've since replaced it with 2 6-volt ones. But I'd like some background info on this so I know who to address this problem to. Yes, I could call each, but more than likely each would say the other is responsible! Thanks for any info about this!
freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:33 AM   #7
dfwbmw

It's probably not a great battery but mine is working good. It might look like it is old but it just gets dirty quick because of it location. I have a good battery monitor so I know when my battery is charging and draining. I have a storage unit that has electric. Remember that even with the main switch off there is still a little amp pull from the door monitor that turns on and off light and steps. It's only about .005 amp. It goes down hill from there if anything is left on. Again a good battery monitor is a great investment and I set that up based on my guessing that is it about an 80 Ah battery. After I kill this battery probably will go Lithium.