Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
ken white

Default Customer Service

What is the best way to contact customer service? I have left voicemails with no return calls and the GS site is currently down, so I can't contact via e-mail. Any guidance would be great. Thanks,

Ken
Old 06-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
ken white

Default Re: Customer Service

Finally got in touch with Mike W at Gulfstream and he is helping me work through the initial issues associated with the new Canyon Trail we just purchased. Will update as we progress.

Ken
Old 06-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Timothy

what kind of problems are you having. Mike or John Smith have always been helpful for me.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
ken white

Fresh water tank leaked lots of water into the under belly when filling.

Grey water tank always read empty.

Seamless corregated under belly cover and insulation became saturated with water and needs to be replaced.

Refridgerator failed when operating on propane.

One slide leaked water down the wall wen it rained.

Not a very good first outing...
Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Timothy

Thats pretty bad, I hope they take care of you. My gray water tank kept leaking and my dealer found out they cut a hole in the top of the tank when they installed a heating vent, they replaced the tank under warranty. It was just lucky I found it, I kept getting a little bit of water leaking out from underneath then one day at a campground a neahbor came over and said there is water running out from under your trailer. My daugher was in the shower and I had the gray valve shut thats when it really started to run out.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
ken white

UPDATE:

Well, my grey water tank was reading correctly, my Canyon Trail has the kitchen sink plumbed into the 40 gallon black tank, while the shower and bathroom sink are plumbed into an 80 gallon grey tank. Since we were camping in a national forest, we used the shower house and only added a few gallons of water to the grey tank when washing hands and brushing our teeth.

Now for my new concerns, how do I stop the black tank from being fed back into the sink when its nearly full (the sink low point is nearly on the same plane). How do you stop the fumes from venting back through the sink when the black tank is full and the camper is pulled up a steep garde when going to the dump station...

I am severly disappointed with this set-up...

Is this the norm for Gulf Stream products?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
Timothy

Unfortunatley its the norm for just about all products. You could have your sink replumbed to the gray tank or put a swing check valve in the drain line to your sink, that should stop any backup concerns. The trap should keep any odors from coming into the rig a gray tank often smells just as bad or worse then the black tank lol. Contact John Smith at GS and see if they will replumb the tank for you citing your concerns. John had always been very helpful to me. Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
ken white

UPDATE II: So while I am waiting on Gulf Stream and Kamper City to decide how to fix the underbelly and plumbing, I was told that all of my other issues were fixed, so I could come and pick it up to use for a 4th of July camping trip that I host every year (I had already cancelled one trip due to these issues).

I think this is great, so I go and pick up my camper and take it home to get it ready for my trip next week, and guess what I find out?

My fresh water tank still leaks like crazy, my refrigerator now only works on Propane - the 120 VAC option flashes that it has failed even though it worked when I dropped it off, and the entire propane black pipe run located under the camper is just dangling by the fittings and flopping around - the pipe is only connected to the interior of the camper and there are about 20 black pipe straps that were never reconnected when the underbelly was removed, plus there are all sorts of other items (wiring, ducting, etc...) dangling from the underneath too.

How am I supposed to use my camper when it is in this condition? I left 2 messages with the Kamper City service department and I didn't receive any return calls...

Called Gulf Stream and they contacted me back and scheduled me service at a different dealer, so maybe, just maybe, I will get to use my camper before summer ends...
Old 07-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
ken white

UPDATE III:

Well when testing my gray tank to make sure the gauge is actually working, I discover that the tank that I thought was 80 gallons as advertised by GS is actually only 40 gallons...

This is a big issue for me since we do a lot of remote camping and one of the main reasons for picking this camper was the large gray water capacity...

I guess I will be in contact with GS again to see what we can do to remedy this big discrepancy...

Old 07-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Timothy

There should be two forty gallon gray tanks.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
ken white

Only one...

Old 07-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
Timothy

That is a problem, maybe thats why they plumbed the sink to the black tank. I hope they make it right for you.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
ken white

Well, it looks like GS will not do anyting about missing 40 gallons of gray water capacity or reduced black water capacity due to kitchen sink being fed into the black tank...

They stated they are not responsible for erroneous specifications in their bochures or the internet...

What a stand up company...
Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
ken white

Told today that it will be 2-3 weeks before I get my camper back from being fixed...

This means I will have only used the camper for 4 days since I picked it up new on June 5. It has been in the shop for all of the remaining days broken or waiting to be fixed...

GS at this point does not seem to care that the camper does not have the specifications that I purchased and has been unusable for almost the entire time it has been in my possession.

We have cancelled 4 trips and will have o cancel another...

At this point, I am thoroughly disgusted and will never purchase another GS product...

Old 07-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #15
ken white

Update: Well, it looks like GS and the dealer where my camper is currently being serviced will take this camping in on trade and for a modest price, I can get a different model that will fit our needs. So, hope fully the new camper wil not have any issues ad we will have the extra water capacity for our remote camping trips.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Dontexas

I would call that good customer service........
Dontexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
Timothy

It sound like things are finally going your way, I hope you enjoy your new rig and can finally get some camping in.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
ken white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy
It sound like things are finally going your way, I hope you enjoy your new rig and can finally get some camping in.
Me too, thanks!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
ken white

Well, it didn't turn out quite the way GS proposed it...

We ended up paying quite a premium to get out of our seriously flawed 5th wheel that was effectively new, but broken for the entire 40 days that we have owned it...

All I can say is that if this new model doesn't meet our expectations, we will dump it for a loss and never purchase another GS or Yellowstone product.

I hope I didn't get fooled twice...

Old 08-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
ken white

Just thought I would update:

Mentor RV worked hard on giving me good trade-in $ for the 27FRES.

GS added $750.

So for an additional $6,750 out of my pocket, I traded up and am now an owner of a 2012, 27FREL.

So far we are happy this 5th Wheel and have only had minor issues.

Happy Camping...