Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-29-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
Mamadoc

Default Newbie with hitch question

Hi, am awaiting arrival of a vintage cruiser 19ERD. I'd like to use an Andersen hitch but the dealership has not been able to supply me with the required measurements - ground to top of coupler, and height of the frame itself behind the coupler. I know it takes a 2 5/16" ball. I'm towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, with a 2" diameter hitch receptacle that is 21 1/4" from ground to top of the receptacle. Anyone know which Andersen hitch would work? I need to order the hitch and bring it to the dealership to install. Thanks!
Mamadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:45 PM   #2
Colorado350

You’re better off waiting until it shows, use a standard receiver and then check before you connect and after. You’re looking for suspension squat, with those measurements order the correct hitch.

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/rapid-hitch.aspx
Old 07-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
canyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamadoc View Post
Hi, am awaiting arrival of a vintage cruiser 19ERD. I'd like to use an Andersen hitch but the dealership has not been able to supply me with the required measurements - ground to top of coupler, and height of the frame itself behind the coupler. I know it takes a 2 5/16" ball. I'm towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, with a 2" diameter hitch receptacle that is 21 1/4" from ground to top of the receptacle. Anyone know which Andersen hitch would work? I need to order the hitch and bring it to the dealership to install. Thanks!
I’m not sure you need such a heavy hitch for your combination I towed a 19 MBS last year all over the east coast with standard wth with no problems.This year we upgraded to 23 ft with same hitch set up so far no issues.If you need more hitch info go to Can Am Rv in London Ontario they have lots of information on hitching very informative
canyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
Onie4252

Default 2007 Gulf Stream Crescendo Question

Hi All! New to this forum. Our dash instruments: oil & water gauge, speedometer and tack all worked one day then the next all quit working.
Anyone have a clue? Thanks!
Onie4252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
Steven

Default 19erd

I *think* we have the same camper, and we have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee (not grand, just the cherokee) Trailhawk where the center of our 2" receiver box is about 21" off the ground - so I may be familiar with your situation. Our GS camper is a 2013 19ERD (also called the VISA) that is very low to the ground with little ground clearance and designed to step directly into the camper (ie, no external steps on the camper to be lowered). If that sounds right for your camper, then it is probably similar to ours. When our camper is level on a level surface, the bottom edge of the hitch is approximately 13" off the ground. Our weight distribution/anti sway hitch has height adjustments to put the ball at the correct level, and it is almost at the lowest possible setting. We also happen to have a . Visually the receiver on the jeep and the hitch on the trailer are *way* out of line and without a significant drop hitch the back end of the camper would probably be touching the ground (at least the stabilizer jacks would be). We actually tow this with my 2WD pickup because I like the extra power of the V8, so I don't have a direct solution but figured the information I do have could be useful. Pictures below:

20200707_141918.jpg

20200707_142020.jpg

20200707_141956.jpg

20200707_142033.jpg
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
Mamadoc

Thanks so much!
Mamadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #7
Steven

Default Update

UPDATE - so we got a new truck. The new truck trailer receiver is about as high as the Jeep receiver. Bought a new 11" drop for the weight distribution hitch, but that proved to be too low - we bottomed it out a few times on our one and only trip with it. A bit of searching and we found a lift kit for the camper from eTrailers ( https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../LC270682.html ). Note, they have sets for square and for diamond axles. I chose to do the lift myself, I made a couple of rookie errors that lost me style points but it all ended up coming out fine. I re-routed some water lines to keep them above the axle also. We could then use the original 6" drop and everything is far enough off the ground now that we feel a lot better. Two more trips out and no bottoming out problems. Note - you will need to get a torque wrench, the kit calls for 120 ft-lbs of force, and had I not had the torque wrench I would have assumed it was 'tight enough' well below that torque value.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #8
RERader

Default New Owner 23 MBS Propane Question

Just purchased new 23MBS. It has an outside compartment with sink, counter and fridge. Underneath the the trailer is a quick connecter for an external gas line for a Coleman stove or grill. Where can you get the proper hose to connect to a grill.
RERader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19erd, andersen