Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-17-2020, 07:53 AM   #1
cjklotz

Default 1999 Gulfstream Conquest- Brakes

Good morning all, I have had my Conquest 29' for about 4 years and have been limping by on brake pads that are in terrible need of replacement. The camper was bought as a salvage and repaired so I don't have any owners manual or anything.
-Can anyone tell me what pads I need or better yet if there is a better/ easier to replace electronic brake assembly?

Any help would be great. I would rather not have to pull it apart to measure, put it back together, order parts and repeat.
cjklotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
Colorado350

Since it’s on a Ford V10 chassis, they’re probably disc brakes. I would just go to NAPA etc and get their Severe Duty pads, I’d also replace the brake hoses front and rear. The hoses are notorious for collapsing on the inside and causing problems. If you’re doing it yourself won’t hurt to pull the wheels off and see what the calipers look like and the brake pads. You may need calipers if any of them are frozen. Since replacing the brake lines, and maybe the calipers it’s also a good time to do a flush. There’s plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how to you flush/bleed your brakes. You can also buy brake bleeders that you screw in to the caliper and allows you to do it yourself.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
cjklotz

Unfortunately it is a travel trailer (forgot to clarify) and it does have drum brakes. I have had the tires off and such greasing bearings but neglected to measure while they were off at that time.
cjklotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:00 PM   #4
Colorado350

Contact Gulfstream with your Vin, they’ll tell you what size brakes you have. 10 or 12 inch. Go to each trailer, Amazon etc. and just buy the whole kit. Personally if I was going to upgrade or had to redo my brakes I would spend the few dollars more and buy the self adjusting. You still have to set them up initially but after that they will self adjust as you use the trailer. There are plenty of videos on how to do it, If you’re going into it that deep I would also buy new bearings and get them all done at one time.

Tags
brakes, pads