Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-18-2020, 08:08 AM   #1
jcgorham

Default Won't Start

Good Morning, I have a 2008 Gulfstream Crescendo with an 8.3l Cummins that will not start, it turns over well but won't fire. My question is where are the fuel filters located, I found the water separator and when i opened the valve on the bottom, like to drain the water nothing comes out. I'm sure it is empty. In the past I've noticed a small amount of diesel on the valve so maybe it all drained out..(?). Where is the fuel filter and how do I prime the system? I know I have over 3/4 tank of fuel. I do not have a manual for this engine so I'm asking advice..Thanks in advance.
jcgorham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
Frutza

Sorry, not familiar with the Cummins, but I think the filter your looking for is on the frame and an inline, not a canister, my Cat has a manual pump on the injector pump.
Lots of people relocate that filter on the frame
Old 05-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
jcgorham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Sorry, not familiar with the Cummins, but I think the filter your looking for is on the frame and an inline, not a canister, my Cat has a manual pump on the injector pump.
Lots of people relocate that filter on the frame
'''''
Thanks for getting back to me. I found the water separator and it is located on the frame as you said, but for the life of me I can't find any more fuel filters. I can't see how anyone could possibly work on this engine it is so cramped. I will replace the water separator filter as it is a canister and I've read both ways one to prefill it and one to not, I will probably fill the filter. I guess I will try to find the injector pump to see if it has a manual pump on it. Wish me luck. Not today though as we are getting Arthur here in NC.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:05 PM   #4
Frutza

Is that a FRED? Freightliner chassis? Add more I do to your signature, if it's not a Fred & on a freightliner, you probably ha a a filter between the fuel separator and the injector pump, hard to find & problematic, good luck & welcome to Rv ownership, it's always something
Old 05-18-2020, 10:07 PM   #5
Frutza

As a matter of fact, if it's a freightliner, you can call freightliner and get a part number, then look it up & see what it looks like
Old 05-19-2020, 06:28 AM   #6
jcgorham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
As a matter of fact, if it's a freightliner, you can call freightliner and get a part number, then look it up & see what it looks like

Mike, my Coach is a Workhorse Chassis. I have googled and found the schematic but we are in the middle of Tropical Storm Arthur here in Eastern North Carolina...Thanks for getting back to me.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
Steve Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgorham View Post
Good Morning, I have a 2008 Gulfstream Crescendo with an 8.3l Cummins that will not start, it turns over well but won't fire. My question is where are the fuel filters located, I found the water separator and when i opened the valve on the bottom, like to drain the water nothing comes out. I'm sure it is empty. In the past I've noticed a small amount of diesel on the valve so maybe it all drained out..(?). Where is the fuel filter and how do I prime the system? I know I have over 3/4 tank of fuel. I do not have a manual for this engine so I'm asking advice..Thanks in advance.
The fuel filter is on the passenger side of the engine assuming a diesel pusher like my Scenic Cruiser. Also. When you turn the key on, you should hear a him from the electric low pressure lift pump. Again, it's about mid engine on the passenger side. This pump feeds the high pressure injection pump and it only runs about 40 seconds. If you've lost that much fuel through the separator, you make have a leak somewhere. If the high pressure injector pump sucks air, it can be VERY bad. If you don't hear the lift pump, you may need to replace it. A few hundred dollars but better than thousands for injectors, etc.
Steve Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #8
jcgorham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Little View Post
The fuel filter is on the passenger side of the engine assuming a diesel pusher like my Scenic Cruiser. Also. When you turn the key on, you should hear a him from the electric low pressure lift pump. Again, it's about mid engine on the passenger side. This pump feeds the high pressure injection pump and it only runs about 40 seconds. If you've lost that much fuel through the separator, you make have a leak somewhere. If the high pressure injector pump sucks air, it can be VERY bad. If you don't hear the lift pump, you may need to replace it. A few hundred dollars but better than thousands for injectors, etc.
Thank you for your information. I haven't had a chance to get out there and get under the coach. I will try a couple of things and if that doesn't work I will have to call a mechanic out to give me a hand. Hope for the best because we are getting anxious to go camping.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Not much will stop a diesel except not getting fuel and most/many have small electric pump that delivers fuel from tank to INJECTOR PUMP, and use a fuel shutoff VALVE (mechanical or solenoid) TO KILL ENGINE... suggest start w/ electric pump/ fuel filter/ water removal filter?
Old 11-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
jcgorham

Thanks for your input, what it turned out to be was the Cummins Gear Pump. After I had someone out to my house and we replace the water/fuel separator and also the fuel filter, which didn't fix the problem. The one Diesel Mechanic that responded to my house indicated that the fuel pump is behind the ECM which will be very difficult to replace in the driveway. I have roadside assistance so I opted to take it to the Authorized Cummins Dealer 35 miles away at a cost of $800, luckily I do have roadside assistance that covered $500 which helped. Anyway the dealer read the codes and quickly diagnosed the problem and fixed my RV. Now it runs as good if not better than ever. Thanks again for your input.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #11
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgorham View Post
Thanks for your input, what it turned out to be was the Cummins Gear Pump. After I had someone out to my house and we replace the water/fuel separator and also the fuel filter, which didn't fix the problem. The one Diesel Mechanic that responded to my house indicated that the fuel pump is behind the ECM which will be very difficult to replace in the driveway. I have roadside assistance so I opted to take it to the Authorized Cummins Dealer 35 miles away at a cost of $800, luckily I do have roadside assistance that covered $500 which helped. Anyway the dealer read the codes and quickly diagnosed the problem and fixed my RV. Now it runs as good if not better than ever. Thanks again for your input.
Sounds like I wud suggest a $20 OBD-2 CODE READER for future use/ reference? I have a $60 hand-held Oxgord I got new for $18 and a $10 Elm327 that talks w/ smart phone.